Palisades issue?

faction02

metadata.jsoncommands.txt

Around minutes 19 and 30 seconds, I have the impression that some units from the purple player try to go through the door of a palisades that belong to the enemy, the orange player. As a result, many units struggle to find their way around the palisades with some units starting to break dance. 

I am wondering if something there might be wrong and corrected ?

Thanks! :) 

thank you,
the reason is, gate is unlocked so it is not seen as obstruction until units get to it, at that point they should try to go around but looks like they are failing to do that.
now I am not sure what was the case in a23b but until gate is unlocked units will try to move trhough it because there cant be separate grid for every player (or can but with huge memory overhead) and closed gates cant block pathding because own untis would never use them.
probably @wraitii would have more ideas since he rewrote unitmotion in a24

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Angen has the right of it: non-locked gates are "open" to the Long-Range pathfinder, which means units try going through. Because of that they get stuck, and then get into their "recovery" UnitMotion code, which uses the Short-Range pathfinder (which does see the gate as closed) to get around.

The units should be able to unstuck themselves after a while (though in MP that could be several seconds), however if you keep clicking to order them to move, you'll actually make the problem worse since the "recovery" logic resets. This is something I failed to anticipate and ought to try and fix.
I'm also not entirely sure that there isn't some bad cases where units do move a bit, which resets the logic also. All in all, this gate business is quite annoying :/

Another problem is that making the initial search range larger can lead to crippling lag.

----

All in all, this is a known issue but has no easy fix at the moment - Pathfinder threading & Unit Pushing would both reduce the load on the short-range pathfinder, allowing larger search ranges from the start (reducing the issue), & we could do some more unitAI work too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2021 at 10:47 AM, wraitii said:

Pathfinder threading & Unit Pushing would both reduce the load on the short-range pathfinder, allowing larger search ranges from the start (reducing the issue), & we could do some more unitAI work too.

Thanks a lot for your answer and your work. 

I was trying to guess what other non-intuitive units behavior these developments could help. 

The larger search ranges should help with the issue below I am guessing ?

Spoiler

I have noticed that units often get stucked because of miners and storehouses. The units do not seem to account that the miners are blocking their way somehow.In the simple case below, the camel keeps searching for a path so increasing the search range would probably solve the issue, but I remember some cases involving larger numbers of unitswhere none of those units were moving anymore. Is it where the Unit Pushing might solve the issue?

Spoiler