Parents And Sayings..

%@#1 :)

J/k

I can't really think of anything. You know what though, this reminds me of things parents would say to you when you were a kid and then you'd find out that it's infact nothing like what they said it was.

Like the "cyberspace"

What kind of idea was that, and then the internet being one big spiderweb. When you actually find out about the internet you realize it's nothing like that, just servers and users and ports.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not as OLD as all of you guys. I would amesome that you are saying some of the things your parents said to you to your kids. I dont have any kids to yell at and who got in as much trouble as me so i dont have anything to say. I will pay for being a bad kid one of these days( my kids with be heathen children). I am just kidding i dont know if you guys are old, but if you guys sure do sound old. Age=Wisdom!!!!!!!

Like the "cyberspace"

What kind of idea was that, and then the internet being one big spiderweb.

Sorry, OT, but I have to say it: Today's history lesson (at least as I understand): There might have been earlier accounts, but the concept of cyberspace and the cyberpunk movement in general was pioneered by William Gibson's works, notably his 1984 novel "Neuromancer".

His cyberspace (also referred to in Neuromancer as the matrix) was more of a "consensual hallucination" http://tecfa.unige.ch/perso/staf/nova/blog...ves/000108.html based on military experimentation with cranial jacks, an abstract representation of data in mental space. A little like VR, but using your senses as the hardware.

The contemporary interface is more mundane, and of course, tactile, but the ultimate nature of the beast is the same: A global electronic information network. Hence the Marketeers hijacked the term to add to its buzzword collection, alongside equally absurd monikers such as the World Wide Web.