towers range

vinme

whats up with that? just checked by placing a tower on a goat in cheat ON and then shooting the goat with a champ archer.the tower range said 70(+9) and archer range said 76 but archer was standing significantly further away enough from the tower that if it was an enemy archer it would easily be able to deal damage without going into the tower range.so is this like the food thing where the range is incorectly displayef btu the tower still shoots arrows at enemies in range of 79 meters or if not then what does the +9 mean? trying to make a strat to counter camel rush

I think that it is the mean elevation bonus over all directions. Towers (and other ranged units or buildings) can have a range bonus if they stand higher than their targets. For units the number displayed is the range bonus in the direction they are looking at, for buildings it is a mean range bonus over all directions. The height of the tower is considered in that calculation i assume.

Edit : note that it makes the range ring (aura) only approximately correct when elevation changes in the surroundings of the tower

Edited by Feldfeld

a-b(+c) means that a is the minimum range, b the base maximum range, and c the average range increase from elevation bonus (which depends on terrain and templates); in this case you can trust the tooltips.

Compare:

Spoiler

high.thumb.png.7a5217dc51d24dfaac30f0aef22587d3.png

With:

Spoiler

low.thumb.png.a4333e8ec4510308da4b86836c4c70a8.png

The range visualization circles show only the base range, not the effective range.

i guess i asked the question wrong. so first of all do i care about elevations in this case? NO

ty for info nesico now i dont have to waste 5 min finding some guy and checking it for myself

for anyone reading this im pretty sure on this that the range starts from the center point of the structure so mainly for larger structures but bacically any structure at all i believe the point that you can hit is further away than the point from which the range starts so lets say a cc of 72  meters that is a large building a unit with 72 meter range wuill be able to shoot at it without getting damaged not useful for archers really but for cata it is as you have more space in between cata and the range of the defense structure to put your units in for protecting the cata

4 hours ago, vinme said:

i guess i asked the question wrong. so first of all do i care about elevations in this case? NO

So you don't care about range then? 70(+18) covers a significantly larger area than 70(-3).

4 hours ago, vinme said:

for anyone reading this im pretty sure on this that the range starts from the center point of the structure so mainly for larger structures but bacically any structure at all i believe the point that you can hit is further away than the point from which the range starts so lets say a cc of 72  meters that is a large building a unit with 72 meter range wuill be able to shoot at it without getting damaged not useful for archers really but for cata it is as you have more space in between cata and the range of the defense structure to put your units in for protecting the cata

Yes, attacks go from centre to edge, which is problematic; see e.g. this thread.