Off-line version of full manual

sideburns

I'm still learning the game, but I'd like to show it to some friends and get them interested.  Right now, I need to have the on-line manual keyed up in my browser so that I can pause the game and RTFM as needed.  Alas, some of the people I want to get interested in this don't have a reliable Internet connection, so that's not always possible.  Is there a version of the full manual that they can download (or I can download for them) that they can use off-line?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sideburns said:

Having a PDF version would be fine, even if you never printed it out.  Just having it open so that you could look at it would be all that most people would need, and it probably wouldn't need updating very often.

A pdf is very compatible document in every OS even in mostly of mobile OS. You can read it in your smartphone.

On 10.03.2016 at 11:54 PM, sideburns said:

Is there a version of the full manual that they can download (or I can download for them) that they can use off-line?

I made a simple-formatted PDF version of the manual from the website: 0ad_game_manual_2016-03-12.pdf (LaTeX source is here)

You can use it or do one of the following:
a. save or print the manual webpage as is
b. use browser built-in reader mode (at least Firefox, Chrome and Safari have it) or an extension to remove unnecessary layout and (again) save or print the result
c. copy-paste the manual text into a word processor (for example LibreOffice Writer) (this preserves the formatting) and save/print or export as PDF

Note that when printing (in any of the options) you can use not only a physical device but also a virtual PDF printer.

• Like 3

Just now, fcxSanya said:

I made a simple-formatted PDF version of the manual from the website: 0ad_game_manual_2016-03-12.pdf (LaTeX source is here)

You can use it or do one of the following:
a. save or print the manual webpage as is
b. use browser built-in reader mode (at least Firefox, Chrome and Safari have it) or an extension to remove unnecessary layout and (again) save or print the result
c. copy-paste the manual text into a word processor (for example LibreOffice Writer) (this preserves the formatting) and save/print or export as PDF

Note that when printing (in any of the options) you can use not only a physical device but also a virtual PDF printer.

C. I can do it in many professional text editors, even Indesing by Adobe to create a high Standar profesional PDF. but this can be nice do it with a finished relese, in other words now don't care. this can be useful text give to donators. I suggested this before. and add conceptual work art in them.

its can be possibly call from translation string to plane TXT or HTML?

What about calling creditTranslators.py inside maintenanceTasks.sh so that credits are also updated when translation get updated?

they idea was given by @fabio in #3802

19 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

its can be possibly call from translation string to plane TXT or HTML?

The comment you are referring to is about extracting translator names from *.po files and adding them into the credits. I don't see how this can be related to the manual. Please clarify the question.

Edit: maybe you are talking about translating the manual itself in the same way the game is translated (via gettext + Transifex)? In this case I believe this should be possible with any text-based format.

• 4 weeks later...