Hi! New Member Here

Hi everyone,

I am excited to be a part of this project, and play this interesting game. Brings back memories from the AOE days. I am trying to teach myself game development, but I am an absolute amateur when it comes to the development tools (not games).

1. Development: Is there anyway some more experienced developers could do some "amateur, getting started" youtube videos. The videos I came across, although interesting, were not very helpful. They just need to walk through the basic stuff, like loading a mesh into blender. I have been trying, and I keep running into problems. This way we can get an education pipeline going, helping feed more people into the system, so as they gain experience they can increase their contributions.

2. Game Play: The Romans and other civilization's units are to strong when... (City Phase ---> Fortress ---> Higher Pay (increased attack by 25%)). It's to much. I was playing against the Romans one time and they AI got this upgrade. My Civ didn't have it I think. I had a better economy and more units, but they kept getting annihilated. Then as many archers and built lots of fortresses, but it didn't do anything. I was literally powerless as a player. It didn't matter what strategy I used, or how many units i outnumbered them with, or how many units I kept feeding into the battle with multiple barracks buildings, they just kept getting smoked.

3. My first contribution (WIP) ---> "Between the Dunes" I am working on this map. I noticed that we need an 8 player map, so I started designing one. I hope you like it and I glad to be apart of the community!!!

post-20097-0-11851100-1437715092_thumb.j

• Like 6

Welcome to the forums !

1. I might be able to do that if you have really specific requests (videos are time consuming). Made one some time ago :

2. Might wanna ask Scythetwirler(One of the devs) about that, he is the one in charge of the balance of the game.

3. Your map look nice, might be interesting to add some more details on some area. Niektb(Member) might also have a good advice. But remember that in the current state of things playing with eight players might not be a good idea (Lag)

• 2 weeks later...

I did it!!!

Okay, I'm Back!! I am taking a financial modeling course through the university and I had an exam so I was caught up with that. Thanks for the Video!

Looks good (y)

Note that the models have to reach far into the ground so placing them on uneven terrain doesn't make them "float" or the entrance "burried".

I'm not sure if the few steps at the edge are enough since the building is quite big.

One of the artists should be able to tell you.

I didn't make this model. I just imported it from the github files. I am just starting 3d modeling and so I was wondering how to get the models into to blender for reference. The photo is just me importing the model.

Since we are on the topic though... what is the limit for the height of a building or what is the cutoff point before the program says that "you cannot build this building here"?

I didn't make this model. I just imported it from the github files. I am just starting 3d modeling and so I was wondering how to get the models into to blender for reference. The photo is just me importing the model.

Since we are on the topic though... what is the limit for the height of a building or what is the cutoff point before the program says that "you cannot build this building here"?

It's not directly related to the mesh (model in Blender) in the game you have XML files called templates, that define the size of the obstruction given by the building. :)

And the build restrictions depend on the inclination of the ground below the obstruction [...]

No it doesn't depend on that. :)

It does. The building placement code checks quite a few things (territory, visibility (for human players), obstruction (which currently checks the full obstruction and not just the center point for walls), footprint (for docks), distance to buildings with the same building restriction) of which the passability (pathfinder passablity) is one of the things checked. This passability is dependent on the slope of some tiles (though this can differ for some passability classes.

EDIT: All of this only applies to buildings placed in-game by a player. Triggers could just place it there, as can map makers. Big buildings can also have quite some height differences when placed on a slight slope that is still passable, so some extension into the ground is needed.

Edited by leper
Add in-game part.