[FALSE POSITIVE] Build: May 11, 2014 (15145) virus/malware/etc problems..

Schwanke

Gotta love norton.

So I downloaded the exe from source forge and it 'disapeared' on me. After a few fiddles I realized the download insight was flagging it for of all things basically not being in the in crowd of programs. (Suspicious cuz its not popular). I did everything under the sun to tell norton I really do trust the darn thing and it still removes it (not even quarantine, just flat out removes) so I finally gave up and disabled norton and downloaded it.

Now I scanned the installation exe after downloading it and it came out fine.

I installed it. No problems.

Problem is this tho:

When I ran the exe to start the game it gave me a norton positvie of Trojan.ADH and if anyone cares on the technics:

Category: Norton Community Watch
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Date Updated,Submitted By,Description,Submission Details
7/9/2014 10:31:21 AM,Info,Statistical Submission: Trojan.ADH,Pending,No Action Required,7/9/2014 10:31:21 AM,Norton 360,Statistical Submission: Trojan.ADH,"CSIDL_PROFILE\appdata\local\0 a.d. alpha\uninstall.exeDetection Digest:
03 00 EA AF 11 01 01 03 00 98 FD 47 5D 79 29 66 ...........G]y)f
10 37 55 6D FD DD D8 49 C4 7F 05 00 00 CE 8B C8 .7Um...I........
9C 5E FB 66 33 00 00 00 00 F3 FE A8 BD 04 03 00 .^.f3...........
00 C8 19 03 06 00 01 02 03 0E 01 00 05 4F 00 5C .............O.\
44 65 76 69 63 65 5C 48 61 72 64 64 69 73 6B 56 Device\HarddiskV
6F 6C 75 6D 65 34 5C 55 73 65 72 73 5C 44 61 76 olume4\Users\Dav
69 64 5C 44 65 73 6B 74 6F 70 5C 45 78 63 6C 75 id\Desktop\Exclu
64 65 73 5C 30 61 64 2D 30 2E 30 2E 31 36 2D 61 des\0ad-0.0.16-a
6C 70 68 61 2D 77 69 6E 33 32 2E 65 78 65 lpha-win32.exe
"

Game seems to have run fine but the trojan was blocked and I dont know if anything is damaged or if the trojan was just the multi player starting up? or what.
I am kinda waffling on playing it with a trojan being detected. Norton claims its all fine and dandy but I have had situations where stuff on source forge has been infected because source forge was infected and so 'just because' it 'feels safe' isnt good enough for me anymore.
Wondering if anyone else on a windows 8 machine is getting any of these problems.
Thanks!
***EDIT***
I found what triggered the trojan. Uninstall.exe got removed. Why the heck norton is removing this stuff and not quarantining it is beyond me but I do rather have an over zealous virus software then under.
I would have to uninstall the whole program, reinstall it and then submit the uninstall.exe for testing before I ran the game for the first time and I am not in the mood for that much work for now. Am curious tho if anyone else is having any positives off it.
Edited by Schwanke

My version of AVG free tags pyrogenisis and the ActorEditor as having the Gaelicum virus but then lots of Open source windows exe show as virus born I think that just about anything that is locally compiled will be reported as doggy as the antivirus companies don`t bother to consider Open source projects.I just tell AVG to ignore them when ever it pops up ;) had the same thing happen with the vegastrike exe on XP a long time ago.

Enjoy the Choice :)

You can always check the MD5 checksum of the download to make sure it didn't get compromised or damaged during download or on the download server.

The checksum for the Windows download of Alpha 16 should be "00a143c354fa4c19f64f71de9dc7f1b5".

• Like 1

I have no problem with Norton personally. Like I said I'd rather have something be over zealous then under. I havnt had Norton slow down my system in years. I havent had a virus get past it in years. In fact the only problem ive had in years was this one time.

As for the Norton is a Virus comment. That sounds a little too much like the rebellion propaganda thats similar to why everyone 'Hates Microsoft'. Little too political for my tastes. Especially since the 'is a Virus' part isnt even tongue in cheek but actually takes its self seriously. That borders on mental illness lol.

As for this situation I am fairly confident now things are fine. I guess if I ever actually want to uninstall 0 AD I'll have to turn off norton re-install and then un-install to get the un-installer back lol. But hey. Theoretically I'll be playing 0-AD for the rest of my life right? :D

I was mainly posting for a confirmation that its safe. The only annoying thing is norton isnt quarantining it but removing it. I'll have to contact norton when I care enough to do so to figure out how to change that. Then I wont mind submitting the new alpha's to norton for analyzation so others dont get the issue.

Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to playing this.