Problems regarding modding

av93

I have been trying to mod, now i have some units and some buildings. I have unzipped the public folder and i have pasted the mod, later i have eliminated the original civs .json, having only my own civ .json file.

The main problem is that the game crashes, giving an error, but i can't copy it cause the pc gets frozen (the pc makes an awful BIOS sound and i have to shut down all. Also there's not an error log... so, I know that this is hard without more info, but what I can do?

....editing units and civs by office writter it's very slow... I hope that a civ/unit editor will be made eventually..

• Like 1

I have been trying to mod, now i have some units and some buildings. I have unzipped the public folder and i have pasted the mod, later i have eliminated the original civs .json, having only my own civ .json file.

The main problem is that the game crashes, giving an error, but i can't copy it cause the pc gets frozen (the pc makes an awful BIOS sound and i have to shut down all. Also there's not an error log... so, I know that this is hard without more info, but what I can do?

....editing units and civs by office writter it's very slow... I hope that a civ/unit editor will be made eventually..

What is it you paste in your public folder?

Edited by niektb

It seems that i brooke the game moving files. I had to reinstall.

Is obligatory to have zipped the public/mod file?

No, it can be zipped, and it can be loose files. Either way will work fine. It's probably easiest to use loose files though as you can easier go through the folders and find the files you want etc. (Though if you are serious about modding I definitely encourage you to start using SVN rather than an alpha release: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TortoiseSVN_Guide )

I would recommend that you create a folder of your own in the mods folder though, and just create the same folder structure as in the public mod folder for the files you want to overwrite or place similar. I.e. if you want to create a CIVNAME.json file for a new civilization of yours you create a folder at binaries\data\mods\YOURMODNAME\civs. If you want to create a new house model for a new civ of yours you create the folders: YOURMODNAME\simulation\templates\structures and place the entity XML there, YOURMODNAME\art\actors\structures\YOURNEWCIVNAME and place the art XML file in there, the DAE file in YOURMODNAME\art\meshes\structural and the texture in YOURMODNAME\art\textures\skins\structural

That way you don't have to worry about your art interfering with the old art, but you can use the existing civs when testing things out.

• Like 3

My goal is to make the base of a mod that I think that will have continuity, also I want motivate people use pyrogenesis, I think that the thematic will do. I don't want post more info unless I get something working.

Regarding the 2n paragraph, If I make an unit that uses an actor of the original game, I should copy the actor and paste it in the mod folder, right?

Yes, but also preserve the map structure (like feneur said).

A while ago I made an example of this (for my tutorial about modding, this is explained there too). I'm attaching it here.

You only need to make sure that the testmod folder is at the same place as the public folder. Secondly you need to repoint the shortcut to your pyrogenesis.exe (As long as you run it with "-mod=testmod")

Your mods folder will look like this (except all those other mods):

LzvHIqx.png

If you have questions or need help in some way or another, you can always turn to The Council of Modders.

testmod.zip

Tutorial Unit creationv1.pdf

Edited by niektb

My goal is to make the base of a mod that I think that will have continuity, also I want motivate people use pyrogenesis, I think that the thematic will do. I don't want post more info unless I get something working.

Regarding the 2n paragraph, If I make an unit that uses an actor of the original game, I should copy the actor and paste it in the mod folder, right?

No, there's no need to. At least not unless you're afraid it will be changed in the main game and want to keep it looking the way it does now (though you'd probably have to copy all the other things as well if you want to be 100% sure), but since changes are usually just making things better there shouldn't be a need to. Just reference it from a template in your mod and it will work automatically. The same way it would be referenced in a template in the public folder - the way the engine works is that first it looks in the public mod folder (or more specifically first in the public.zip, then it looks for loose files in the public folder), then in any mod folder. If it finds something in the public mod, and then in another mod the latter overwrites it, but if it just finds something in the public mod and not in any other folder it uses the public mod's file.

To give an example, say your template refers to the actor units/celts/cavalry_javelinist_a.xml then it first looks to see if there is such a file in the public mod (i.e. mods\public\art\actors\units\celts/cavalry_javelinist_a.xml ) then if there is such a file in another mod (i.e. if there is such a file at mods\YOURMODNAME\art\actors\units\celts/cavalry_javelinist_a.xml ), but if there isn't it just uses the one in the public mod.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. You can re-use every file/actor without the need of copying it to your own folder.

Nice to hear that. We will help you on the way. I have already some things at hand for such a venture (e.g. flow of time, essentially the engine has this already ... it's not having any effect currently).

Will you use a hard cut to change epochs? Or rather seemless, like we plan to do it somehow. At least that's what I'd wish to have. Still have to think more about how to make this happen.

• 2 months later...

Today I encountered an error/crash while trying to test my newly created Viking Storehouse (while trying to place):

ERROR: Actor 'storehouse' has no textures.

This storehouse is a building that consists of already existing props alone. Because the game was complaining about a missing base when taking an empty as parent, I created a dummy cube and resized it so it is invisible.

The actor file reads as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><actor version="1">	<castshadow/>	<group>		<variant frequency="100" name="Viking storehouse">			<mesh>structural/viking_storehouse.dae</mesh>			<props>				<prop actor="props/structures/decals/dirt_4x4.xml" attachpoint="root"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/handcart_1.xml" attachpoint="cart"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/hay_a.xml" attachpoint="hay"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/awning_wood_large.xml" attachpoint="lawning"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/awning_wood_small.xml" attachpoint="sawning1"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/awning_wood_small.xml" attachpoint="sawning2"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/barrel_a.xml" attachpoint="barrel1"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/barrel_a.xml" attachpoint="barrel2"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/crate_a.xml" attachpoint="crate1"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/crate_a.xml" attachpoint="crate2"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/blocks_granite_pile_a.xml" attachpoint="stone1"/>				<prop actor="props/special/eyecandy/blocks_granite_pile_a.xml" attachpoint="stone2"/>			</props>		</variant>		<textures><texture file="structural/viking_struct.png" name="baseTex"/></textures>		<material>player_trans.xml</material>	</group></actor>

The model itself is attached along with the texture. It is true that it is so small, there are only attachpoints.

I also attached the crashlog and system info.

viking_storehouse.zip

crashlog.txt

system_info.txt

I think I had this error too when I worked on the juggling joker. Unfortunately I forgot how I fixed it.

fixed in latest millenniumad revision.

I changed the actor + reexported .dae

- material must be outside group element.

- texture inside variantn

thx for the storehouse :)

post-15921-0-78481900-1401840497_thumb.j