Programmer looking to contribute

Hello everyone. I'm currently a Computer Science senior @ university and one of my classes this semester requires that I contribute to one or more open source projects.

I'm in the process of getting familiar with the project, but I'm hoping you guys are still in need of programmers. I have a lot of experience programming 2D games in C++ using SFML, even limited network programming, but very little OpenGL or graphics programming experience. So I hope to contribute to the areas of game play mechanics and possibly AI.

If you have any suggestions on some work that needs to be done that nobody has gotten around to let me know. If you do have a suggestion start me off with something smaller so I can become familiar with the project :) Otherwise I will get around to checking your issue tracker. Look forward to meeting/speaking with you guys.

• Like 1

Hi, if you haven't seen it yet, I'd start with our introduction for programmers on Trac: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GettingStartedProgrammers

That should at least point you in the direction of some interesting links. The other thing I would do is spend time in #0ad-dev on IRC as it suggests. The activity level varies but if you have questions and stick around for a while, you will likely be answered. Try getting the game's source code from SVN and compiling it, then play around for a while to get a feel for how it works. At that point you might find something interesting to work on, or at least understand the context of any ticket you want to work on.

I spoke with about 4-5 other programmers in my class, they all sounded interested in helping out, so you guys might get a few more programmers besides myself.

Keep in mind we all have other classes and commitments, so I don't know how much we're going to end up contributing in the end, but thank you for the warm welcomes :)

• Like 1

If I may suggest something for you to work on, getting corrals to function the way they're designed to would be great. Currently they merely train sheep which can be slaughtered for food. This isn't very useful, and only a few players use them in competitive games. Perhaps someone can point you to a more detailed description, but they are designed to work by garrisoning sheep (or other animals) in them, which will generate a slow trickle of food.

This should be relatively easy to implement, and is sorely needed. :)

If you have any questions on the code, feel free to ask in #0ad-dev on quakenet. Usually someone is around who can help you, and if they aren't, most of the programmers here read the logs and so can get back to you at a later time.

• Like 1

More info about corrals in case you want to work on them (would certainly be a good addition to the game, so I'd encourage it, should also give you experience with a lot of different parts of the engine etc in case you want to continue working on the game in the future :) ): http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/List%3A_Entities%3A_Player%3A_Structures#Corral

And also http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/List%3A_Entities%3A_Nature%3A_Fauna%3A_Herd for more info on how the animal part of it should work :) I would say focus on the food trickle to begin with, and when that is working well you should be able to add the cost reduction relatively easily :)

Another idea for something to work on is reversible technologies. Currently we have auto researching techs, these research instantly when the conditions are fulfilled. A reversible etch will auto research and will also automatically unresearch itself when the requirements are no longer satisfied.

This can then be used for special buildings which have some bonus like +15% farming rate. So the tech will require the special building, and if that building happens to get destroyed the tech will be unresearched and the bonus will be gone.

This shouldn't be too hard to add. The main issue is that currently when a tech is researched the effects get pushed into a list, when the tech is unresearched its effects need to be removed from the list, so the tech needs to be associated with the effects in some way. It should be pretty self contained in the TechnologyManager.js file (binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/components).

Thanks for the ideas guys. I found out you guys also have a github repo. Does it matter if I prefer/use github? Why do you guys use both?

I only use the Github mirror now and I get by fine. The only problem is that it currently is manually updated, so sometimes it takes several days before the Git repo is synced with the SVN repo.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I found out you guys also have a github repo. Does it matter if I prefer/use github? Why do you guys use both?

Some people prefer Git :P We are and have been using SVN for a long time, but the Git mirror was started since some people like Git more. We do plan to move to Git, but there are a couple of issues we still need to sort out for that to work properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys :)

Im also CS student, who needs to contribute to open source project. I always loved strategy games, so I thought this project might be cool place to get some experience with game programming.

Anyway, for the next month, Im planning to spend about 40h on this project, so Im hoping to create something meaningful :)

@vromanowski, have you found anything to worki on? I also don't really have any experience with OpenGL, so I thought I might try giving you a hand with what you are working on with your friends.