A couple of suggestions

StephenCon

Hi there, I have a university assignment where I have to try some open source software and then post on the forums a couple of ideas that I think would help improve that software. I chose 0 AD anyways so here goes:

1. Animation

• A little feature that I think would improve the game is animations for when your construct buildings.
  • When you chop a tree down it should fall as well.

2. Game play features

• It would be easier if you could group units like in the total war series, so with the click of a button you could select a whole gang of units.
  • When I was playing the other day I noticed that it took about 10 hits to kill a sheep, it really should only take a couple of hit.
  • A cool feature would be the ability to have units on walls for obvious reasons.
  • A feature that I’d like to see is the ability to build roads like in Civilization, the benefits of roads could be something like double movement speed for units.
  • A trade system where you could trade gold for wood etc. would be pretty cool as well.
  • A campaign with a story would be a lot of fun.
  • A religion feature would be great as well, like choosing or creating a religion and having different benefits with choosing different religions.

Thanks for reading anyways and I hope to here from anyone if they have any suggestions

Welcome to our forum!

[*]A little feature that I think would improve the game is animations for when your construct buildings.

See #21, #1174 and #1581.

[*]When you chop a tree down it should fall as well.

[*]It would be easier if you could group units like in the total war series, so with the click of a button you could select a whole gang of units.

Have you tried pressing Ctrl+N (with N being in a number 0 - 9) (as noted in the manual)

[*]When I was playing the other day I noticed that it took about 10 hits to kill a sheep, it really should only take a couple of hit.

This should be fixed in the SVN version by introducing a slaughter attack to kill domestic animals (revision 12705), but thanks for the notice.

[*]A cool feature would be the ability to have units on walls for obvious reasons.

We considered this feature, but it was dropped (at least for part 1) as it doesn't add much to the gameplay and would require some work that would best be used elsewhere.

[*]A feature that I’d like to see is the ability to build roads like in Civilization, the benefits of roads could be something like double movement speed for units.

This has been discussed a lot (just check this forum), but if I remember correctly the new (not yet finished) pathfinder will drop the different movement speeds depending on terrain.

[*]A trade system where you could trade gold for wood etc. would be pretty cool as well.

I guess you mean barter, which lets you exchange resources at a rate. Build a market and check the buttons on the left GUI panel.

[*]A campaign with a story would be a lot of fun.

A campaign is planned, but those appearing in part 1 will most likely be strategic campaigns (a bit like the Total War series). Narrated campaigns have been dropped (see link above).

[*]A religion feature would be great as well, like choosing or creating a religion and having different benefits with choosing different religions.

Thanks for reading anyways and I hope to here from anyone if they have any suggestions

I don't think I have read that one yet, I think you should expand that idea to get some discussion started on it.

Thanks for your feedback.

(I seriously wonder what course requires you to do this.)

Hey thanks for the reply guys, I'm doing a computing course in University and part of the module for Core Skills is interacting with the community of an open source project and I had played 0 A.D before so I thought I might as well post about it here.

The religion system I was thinking of was a little bit like the Civilization V: God and Kings expansion that lets you name your own religion and then chose a couple of benefits to having that religion like faster construction of buildings or more food from farms, that sort of thing.

The religion system I was thinking of was a little bit like the Civilization V: God and Kings expansion that lets you name your own religion and then chose a couple of benefits to having that religion like faster construction of buildings or more food from farms, that sort of thing.

Tech pairs should take care of that; e.g. choosing between faster construction of buildings (at the expense of health) and greater building health (at the expense of build time).

Yeah that's what I meant, like with the religion feature you could select or create your religion and by accomplishing certain goals you could improve your religions benefits via some sort of skill tree. The reason why I recommend religion as a feature is becuase 0 A.D is striving for realism and religion was a big part of the ancient world, and I think it could make the factions pretty varied.

Yeah that's what I meant, like with the religion feature you could select or create your religion and by accomplishing certain goals you could improve your religions benefits via some sort of skill tree. The reason why I recommend religion as a feature is becuase 0 A.D is striving for realism and religion was a big part of the ancient world, and I think it could make the factions pretty varied.

But religions are already there, only with not that much emphasis. The Iberians have their statues, for example, the druids were the priests of the Celts, etc.

• 2 weeks later...