Cavalry are very fast at gathering food

fabio

I have to agree that their speed is ridiculously fast. I have just checked out and they take care of a chicken in like what? 4 seconds? I think the bonuses of the cavalry should be moving faster and carrying more (since a horse can bear more weight than a man), but their gathering speed is too overpowered and makes me feel that when i need food i'll just have to spam sheeps and cavalry and then focus on the other resources.

I thought what was planned was that cavalry would be scouts and sentries, and to bring food from far away to keep the food production steady while the farms are being built.

That is why I think they should not show up on the idle citizen hotkey (.)

Where should they show up then? They do have a gathering role, so imho it would be weird to only have them selectable via the idle military hotkey, but it does seem a bit superfluous to create a new shortcut key just for them :unsure:

History-wise, i only heard about the peculiar way of (some) the barbarians to tenderize the meat: using the meat as saddles.

Mongols!!

I dunno, it was kind of a nuisance when I was seeking citizens for farming or chopping wood and I kept getting cavalry

Hopefully the sentry feature will be implemented soon. Just to keep the cavalry busy :)

Hmm, maybe we could remove the zoom capability from the normal - key (and only have it on the numpad - key) and have - as a "find idle everything that doesn't fit in the other categories" key :P (I.e. use it for healers, cavalry, and maybe trade units/ship and fishing boats). Wouldn't be the prettiest solution, but would at least remove the current issues, and avoid us having to create a ton of select idle ... buttons :unsure:

Cavalry can only gather meat, not vegetable food. Dunno if it's intended.

Very much intended indeed :) I guess you could perhaps gather apples from horseback, but in general being on a horse isn't very useful for gathering vegetables =) I know you have to get off the horse to actually get the meat from the dead animals, but in a more general sense it makes sense for cavalry to hunt but not e.g. farm. I guess it could be argued that only infantry units should be citizen soldiers, but for gameplay reasons that wouldn't make much sense (it's useful to have cavalry available for scouting early in the game etc).

I guess it could be argued that only infantry units should be citizen soldiers, but for gameplay reasons that wouldn't make much sense (it's useful to have cavalry available for scouting early in the game etc).

Why not making some units dismountable, then? I mean, the Civic Center could train the horse riders, but they should get horses at the local stable to then be able to ride. Of course there would come many issues, we'd have to think if it would be good for two units to merge/split or if they'd be forever two entities that just walked together, the artists would have to make animations for mounting/dismounting, death of a riderless horse, death of a mountless rider, and this feature would end up being postponed for part two.

Why not making some units dismountable, then? I mean, the Civic Center could train the horse riders, but they should get horses at the local stable to then be able to ride. Of course there would come many issues, we'd have to think if it would be good for two units to merge/split or if they'd be forever two entities that just walked together, the artists would have to make animations for mounting/dismounting, death of a riderless horse, death of a mountless rider, and this feature would end up being postponed for part two.

That's been discussed a ton of times before, but just for the sake of discussion, can you give one good reason to do this? And I don't count pseudo-realism (this is a game, so full realism is impossible) as a reason, though you're of course still free to argue that it is ;)

Dismounting cavalry troopers, if more than just a visual effect, add unnecessary and not necessarily-fun micromanagement in a game with 300 units per player.

Both of you are right. I can't think any solid reason for this feature in a game the style of 0 A.D. I've seen, though, a RTS where something like this was part of the game mechanic and i liked very much, so i thought of mixing it with some other good aspects of other games (like this one), came up with this idea and posted it even before thinking seriously about it.

(

is the game i talked about, in which every male adult may be put to be trained in something, e.g. one can enter a temple and train to become a priest, and then enter a barracks and train to be a swordsman instead of priest)

• 2 weeks later...

I measured the gathering speed:

• citizen: 1 food/s
  • cavalry: 15 food/s

It doesn't seems very realistic. Cavalry also has advantages of faster speed of movement and can transport 30 food vs 20 of a citizen (but has the disadvantage of gathering only meat and not vegetables).

• 1 month later...

(

is the game i talked about, in which every male adult may be put to be trained in something, e.g. one can enter a temple and train to become a priest, and then enter a barracks and train to be a swordsman instead of priest)

I definitely played that game a TON when I was younger and I had totally forgotten about it! I guess I've always had a thing for RTS games...