New match setup options. Population Cap and Starting resouces

Looks good, but would it not be an option if these options are visible directly, that is without the need for a popup? Maybe it would not fit on a small (1024x768) screen. Otherwise, for visual consistency: adding the gold-coloured border around the popup would put it in line with the overall look and feel of the GUI.

There could be room in the middle if Match Type, Map Filter, and Select map were moved to underneath the map preview image.

There will certainly be more options and we ultimately, we need a separate option box. So this is just a temporary tweak. Not to mention that those three options beneath the map preview will shrink the description to almost nothing in 1024x768.

Otherwise, for visual consistency: adding the gold-coloured border around the popup would put it in line with the overall look and feel of the GUI.

Good idea. :)

Also: for randomly generated maps, is it already possible to change the amount of resources on the map? For example meagre, normal and rich (amount of mines, wildlife,...) It would be cool if there was a changeable parameter.

Technically, it is possible. In fact, I have written a code that gives random map makers the ability to create a single dropdown with anything they want. I used it to choose the biome in some random maps. But the general structure of our random maps is more restricted than that. Imagine an anatolian plateau with a lot of trees or an ardenes forest with little forest but a lot of hills. It doesn't make sense. That's why I am making many maps of different properties. To eliminate the need for such options.

But if you want to experience many possibilities, play "unknown" maps. I have tried to include every possibility I could in those maps.

There will certainly be more options and we ultimately, we need a separate option box. So this is just a temporary tweak. Not to mention that those three options beneath the map preview will shrink the description to almost nothing in 1024x768.

It would shrink the map description area to the same height as the chat area... And it makes sense to group them anyway.

It's a good start. Can the clients view the options as well or only the host? (The problem if only the host can see them is they have to tell the players what the settings are which is redundant) There's a ticket for this: http://trac.wildfire....com/ticket/812 - please a attach a patch there.

I haven't tested it but they should be able to at least open the option panel and see what is being changed.

It would shrink the map description area to the same height as the chat area... And it makes sense to group them anyway.

Yes. But it doesn't eliminate the need to create a separate options box.

I would like an "Unlimited" population option, which is very very impractically high. Would 65535 be enough for that? If not, 2^32-1 (the game would explode long before then) :)

That would render "TARDIS" cheat useless and even harmful.

So what is the limit for the population cap?

300. 500 with cheat.

While working on this, my laptop suddenly restarted and kept doing so. I checked and found that it is because its cpu fan is not working anymore. Thankfully, the CPU is not damaged. But unfortunately this postpones this a lttile because my brother doesn't let me use his PC very much and he is standing here waiting for me to finish this message to get his computer back. So don't worry.

Sorry to hear, and hope things work out as soon as possible. Good to hear that the CPU isn't broken at least. Pity that it's a laptop, otherwise you could always have gotten an ordinary fan and pointed at the computer until you had it fixed :P I wouldn't think that works very well with a laptop though =)

Nice to see the new settings. You can also thin (horizontal) the more options window. If you thin also the "Match Type", "Map Filter", "Select Map" you can place all options on the match setup side. You can do this also in "Player Placement". Will be this in alpha 12?

I recommend also a cooling pad...

Edited by raymond

I'll get the laptop back in a day or two. It was a pretty old laptop so I couldn't find the spares easily.

BTW, I Bought a PC. I'm installing the necessary programs so that I can use it from now on. The laptop was giving me so much problems and it was my mom's.

thanks you, but when are avaible to svn?

When I get the laptop back, I'll continue to work on it. Hopefully, it would be committed in a week. :)

• Like 1

Why not replace the "Map Description" box with the "Game Options" box? The rules take screen real estate priority IMO. We can hide the map descriptions behind a tab. That should keep the screen from being too cluttered, and the description will still be available for those who want it.

I think map size should go over to the right as well. And "Number of players" possibly above player name. Thoughts?

I have had some thought about that and must say that I prefer it. But there are two problems.

1:People may miss the n. of players box if it is in the top of the page.

2:Where should we put the more options button then?

Why not replace the "Map Description" box with the "Game Options" box? The rules take screen real estate priority IMO. We can hide the map descriptions behind a tab. That should keep the screen from being too cluttered, and the description will still be available for those who want it.

That wont help. Map description box is very short in 1024x768 mode and wont have enough space for options. Not to mention that we'd have more options in future.

I think it's going to prove impossible to do everything in one screen, and while having an options box does mean that you can remain on the same screen while still giving access to more options there is a limit to how much you can put there as well. Imho we should probably start thinking about doing things in tabs at this stage rather than having to do it later when we have more options. An option is to have e.g. the map description in an overlay, but that of course doesn't allow for as much formatting/information, so I don't think we should do it that way.

Does anyone have an idea for this? Other suggestions are also welcome.

I have had some thought about that and must say that I prefer it. But there are two problems.

1:People may miss the n. of players box if it is in the top of the page.

2:Where should we put the more options button then?