Video Editor - Brynn

Position: Video Editor

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?

Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?

Yes

Name:

Brynn

Email:

BrynnOfCastlegate (at) live (dot) co (dot) uk

MSN Messenger:

I think this is the same as above.

Availability:

Probably about 10 hours per week, with similar in 6 months.

I am looking for one of these.

Skills and Experience:

I have never worked with designing a game, but I have made a variety of videos of various sorts. I can use Adobe After Effects for a wide variety of special effects and compositing situations. I have made two videos of game footage in particular which sound like the sort of thing you are looking for, one of which won a contest on the Total War forums. I also do photography and some photo editing/art, so I may be able to help with something like this also.

Motivation:

I want to gain more experience in video editing and have a go at helping design part of something like a game. I love pretty graphics and want to make things look the best possible. I also enjoy learing more about history.

Personality:

A warrior-princess born about a thousand years too late! Seriously, I enjoy helping people, pay close attention to detail, and want to make everything the best it can be.

Short Essay:

I first discovered history-based games with Age of Empires 2; I love medieval history and playing games full of the history of that time period. I discovered 0 A.D. one day while searching the internet, and it looked interesting, even though it is not quite medieval (expansion?). Since it was still in Alpha, I was not sure I should bother trying to play it yet, but when I saw that you were looking for video editors, not just programmers, I decided to see if I could help.

Interests and Hobbies:

I love building with LEGO bricks (see me in my picture)! I also enjoy photography and baking.

Staff:

I do not know anyone on the team.

Favourite Game:

I love Medieval II: Total War and Total War: Shogun II. I also like Age of Empires 2. Oh, and LEGO Universe, until it closed...

Work Examples:

These are the two videos I made of game footage from Total War. The first one won the contest.

Hope I can help!

--Brynn

Edited by BrynnOfCastlegate

Hi! I'm glad you like the videos!

I looked at the videos on your channel, and they look pretty good. The gameplay videos are great, as you do not want special angles and effects in a gameplay video. The latest feature demonstration video is also good; perhaps putting titles and such on top of the video instead of on black would be nice, but it is not bad the way it is.

Is it possible to see the sky in 0 A.D. by tilting the camera up? Or would you rather use the traditional downward angle in the videos?

--Brynn

Is it possible to see the sky in 0 A.D. by tilting the camera up? Or would you rather use the traditional downward angle in the videos?

We always try to show the game's default downward angle in videos. There are sky-boxes (called Billboards) available in the map editor that can be placed on maps if you'd like to show other angles.

The reason the feature demonstration videos have titles on black is because I'm editing them using Windows Live Movie Maker, and that's the best it can do unfortunately.

Have you tried using Atlas Editor yet? Knowing how to setup a good scene is important to get the best clips, so some knowledge of the editor will come in handy. Would you be willing to work on a short teaser video to show us what you can do with 0 A.D.? Pick something you like, the maps, trees, walls, techs, anything really, and create a short teaser around it. See the Gate teaser I created as an example:

Yours can be much more artistic, but you get the idea ;)

Hi! Thank you for your kind comments. I will have a look at the editor and see what I can do. I think I may do a teaser on the animals, as there seem to be a lot of nice ones in the game!

Is there a way to adjust the camera scrolling speed in the game, via a configuration file or something? Slowing down the scrolling really helps with making nice videos.

Thank you!

--Brynn

Hi! Thank you for the tips. I've got the camera speeds adjusted and have started capturing footage. I decided to do a teaser on the different environments and locations you can play in. Hopefully I'll have it ready in the next couple of days.

Can't wait to see what you create! :)

Hi! I have finished my teaser for the different environments in 0 A.D. I have put the link below, but it may be half an hour or so until it works, as Vimeo has to convert the video first.

http://vimeo.com/47265733

Let me know what you think, what you like, and what I could do better!

Thank you!

--Brynn

Edit: The video is up now!

Edited by BrynnOfCastlegate

Very pretty and well done! Way to go!

I would like some more shots that are further away from the ground, because that is the usual POV of the player in 0 A.D.

I would also cut the video shorter, and try to time the transitions between shots to the music.

Also, I suggest using pure music tracks, without sound effects.

I'm glad you like it!

I had thought about making it shorter, so that would definitely be one thing to do.

I didn't expect to see the territory lines but it's a minor thing I guess.

Is there a way to turn these off?

Very cool. Which controls (camera or otherwise) did you miss the most while recording this?

The controls that would be most useful would be in-game controls for the camera speed. Even just keyboard shortcuts to speed up and slow down the camera without exiting the game and editing the configuration file would really help!

Very pretty and well done! Way to go!

I would like some more shots that are further away from the ground, because that is the usual POV of the player in 0 A.D.

I would also cut the video shorter, and try to time the transitions between shots to the music.

Also, I suggest using pure music tracks, without sound effects.

Thank you! The shots are close in, I guess, because I apparently play games like this zoomed in way more than most people! I can make sure to zoom out more in the future, though. My concern with the music is that a different track for each clip would produce too many transitions and feel jarring, especially if the video were shortened. What do you think?

Oh! This looks great!

On a side note, with the new shaders the game is going to look superb! There are several assets that also need updating... Hmm... Gaia stuff mostly. Going to the to-do list.

Thank you! I can't wait to see the new graphics! When will these be ready to try out?

Thank you for all your input! Would you like me to do a new version of this video, or work on something else?

--Brynn

The new effects are available with SVN now,still bug stomping ATM mostly bring old content up to date.

The code for a number of effects is in, but, with the exception of windy trees and distance fog, it may take a while before the art assets will be updated accordingly. HDR and bloom is not in yet either, to my knowledge. But by alpha 12 hopefully some of the changes should start showing.

Edited by zoot

SVN is an abbreviation for subversion a way of keeping code and art in a historically ordered manner there is a very complete article on the wiki at http://trac.wildfire...rtoiseSVN_Guide on how to get ours an d use it.

Enjoy the Choice :)

That sounds complicated. I would have to compile the code myself? Perhaps I will wait until it is in the Alpha.

--Brynn