Random Map Script:Northern Lights

Spahbod

New random map. Playable but not complete. It needs some of the myconid's graphical improvements like distant fog. Also it needs some new art assets. Slightly different from the one Mythos_Ruler posted.

post-12825-0-69988400-1343585027_thumb.p

Players start in a tough map to play with scarse wood and dangerous polar animals

Earth's polar regions are the areas of the globe surrounding the poles also known as frigid zones.The Arctic's climate is characterized by cold winters and cool summers. Precipitation mostly comes in the form of snow. The Arctic's annual precipitation is low, with most of the area receiving less than 50 centimetres. High winds often stir up snow, creating the illusion of continuous snowfall. Except for those areas adjacent to warm ocean currents, there is almost always continuous permafrost due to the very cold winters. The famous aurora can be seen from these regions.

Provided we have animated textures it sounds like it should be relatively easy to implement, just create a sky that includes auroras (or perhaps even on a special extra "layer").

Do auroras actually move at any noticeable speed? I've only ever seen pictures and figured they stood still, in which case a simple skybox worked fine enough.

Do auroras actually move at any noticeable speed? I've only ever seen pictures and figured they stood still, in which case a simple skybox worked fine enough.

I was actually wondering about that too. After watching a few youtube videos, my best judgement is that they do move/flicker noticeably.

This is supposed to be recorded in real-time:

(Edit: I guess the reason they are mostly seen in still-shots or time-lapse videos is that they need a long exposure time to look good on photos.)

Edited by zoot

I've let the AIs duel a bit on this map... Doesn't seem to be that hard, there's room. I really like the look of the map however, it's very cool. What did you use for the coast? Some variation of what I did on Corsica or something else entirely? The islands are a really cool touch. The only thing I'd change is make the terrain a bit less flat, adding a few small hills(I mean, large but not high) to make the terrain look less flat. Perhaps you could try adding a few more different textures to the ground/have more areas with different textures too. Overall, big props, it's really nice!