Post-processing effects test (SSAO/HDR/Bloom)

If we combine them, the map will be bigger, like 2048x2048.. Not sure if it'll affect the performance, but that's the way we did in RoTE :)

Performance shouldn't be affected, even on older hardware. However, if we're talking about combining (I'm guessing) two 1024x1024 textures into a 2048x2048, it would waste twice as much memory as we need.

As I doubt any buildings use everything from both textures, maybe we could duplicate just some elements to a third texture. Still kind of wasteful, but not as much.

In the future can we hope for Dynamically and automatically generated AO? :P

For now "automatically", with a Blender script. I'm itching to work on the "dynamically", because it sounds challenging! :D

If I may know, which file is the heightmap for that part? I know it's because the file is generated using software instead of handmade.

Look at the relevant file in art/actors. There's a <texture> entry with the name "normTex", pointing to an image file. The heightmap is stored in its alpha channel.

Hey they're looking great! :)

Did you used the AO script for blender that myconid posted? or it was done by hand?

Now if only we could get that shadow bug fixed (the horizontal wooden posts sticking out of the fortress wall) ;)

The shadow bug... afaik is not a bug, just the bias setting of the shadowbuffer lamp used I think. (not 100% sure)

I believe it is "Peter Panning".

From the article attached by Historic_bruno on the trac ticket:

"Peter Panning results when the depth offset [bias] used is too large. In this case the depth offset causes the depth test to erroneously pass."

The current bias is a fixed value of 0.02. Again, not sure, but reducing it to 0.01 may make the problem less noticeable and/or create artifacts changing it.

The current bias is a fixed value of 0.02. Again, not sure, but reducing it to 0.01 may make the problem less noticeable and/or create artifacts changing it.

Bring up the Javascript console and type in

renderer.shadowZBias = 0.01

You'll notice that the shadow positions improve, but you get z-fighting artefacts on vertical slopes (e.g. I can see them in Oasis 10, on the hills). This is odd, as I've seen other shadowmapping implementations that use <0.005 without issues. Not sure what's so different here...

My feeble attempt at the Iberian buildings, using your AO maps. :D The CC has a few artifacts though, I'll commit so you can have a look.

That's the issue with parallax on smoothed surfaces we were discussing on the previous page. Either disable parallax through the material (since you aren't using it, anyway), or do what Enrique was suggesting.

BTW Myconid, could you explain to me the step 1 of the Blender's script of automatic AO Generation?

Make two directories, Y_UP and Z_UP. Separate models which contain the word "Z_UP" into one directory - use the Windows search function, or this on Linux

grep -L -Z -r 'Y_UP' . | xargs -0 -I{} mv {} Y_UP

I Could not understand it :P

Myconid, how hard does this look to you? Specifically the technique described in the GPU Gems article?

Probably not too difficult to implement, but creating new terrain textures in that format will be a huge PITA. There are simpler techniques that get pretty good results without the sweat and tears. See this article about the Unreal engine for some ideas.

Added VHQ Parallax for the Rocks! :)

You should use the VHQ code only through the "conditional_define" statements and enable/disable it through the config. Is that what you did? Still, those rocks really do rock! :rockon:

BTW Myconid, could you explain to me the step 1 of the Blender's script of automatic AO Generation?

What I was trying to say there is, if you wanted to process all the meshes in the "structural" directory, you'd need to use Windows' file search to separate the models that contain the word "Y_UP" from those that contain "Z_UP". It has to do with some models that were exported from 3DS with a setting that Blender can't import, so they need to be converted by the script. If you're exporting your rock models directly from Blender, then you don't need to worry about that (set handedness to False).

Oh, one more thing: If you want to change the AO settings before you run the script, you need to comment out the last line (add # at the front). Then run Blender with the script, change the settings, open Blender's Python console and paste in the line line you commented earlier.

Probably not too difficult to implement, but creating new terrain textures in that format will be a huge PITA. There are simpler techniques that get pretty good results without the sweat and tears. See this article about the Unreal engine for some ideas.

Interesting. Seems the cost is the larger details in the texture, though.

Committed :)

DNXxo.jpg

Enjoy the VHQ Bump!

Are the stone-mines (!?) supposed to be that shiny? Or is it just something about that screenshot that makes them look more like rocks wrapped in tin foil than anything else :unsure: For metal mines it's one thing to make sure one knows what they are, but this is far too much imho.

Are the stone-mines (!?) supposed to be that shiny? Or is it just something about that screenshot that makes them look more like rocks wrapped in tin foil than anything else :unsure: For metal mines it's one thing to make sure one knows what they are, but this is far too much imho.

Noted :)

(Need to put that on my to-do list.)

Possible fix added for the Temperate Rock Formation committed :)

I receive an error in atlas, It doesn't find the AO texture for the Temperate rock formation.

By the way, I think that parallax is not needed in those rocks, you have to be very very close to see the effect. (or modify the heightmap to be noticeable)

We should discuss this on your rocks thread, let's keep this one clean for future problems/testing/development of the patch. ;)

Well, Enrique, I can see the Parallax from an ingame perspective and the heightmap is quite realistic-looking :) I like to zoom in often to see what and how my workers are doing, so I really don't think it would be useless. As we commented on IRC, if I recall correctly :P , we are planning to everything to have parallax and be awesome-looking.

BTW, I committed the missing AO texture yesterday.

Yeah, feel free to post your concerns on the Rock thread.