Post-processing effects test (SSAO/HDR/Bloom)

I can thus see the features of the terrain (but not any building or other entities). Upon launching it is ok, but when I reveal the map (with the developer panel) and then turn it off, it never goes back to completely black.

This has long been an issue I've noticed, the SoD is not completely black after toggling the reveal map option, which I figure is OK since that option shouldn't be used normally :) I can still reproduce it as of r12560. My monitor is very bright so it may be that I notice this and others do not, or it may be specific to my graphics card...

This has long been an issue I've noticed, the SoD is not completely black after toggling the reveal map option, which I figure is OK since that option shouldn't be used normally :) I can still reproduce it as of r12560. My monitor is very bright so it may be that I notice this and others do not, or it may be specific to my graphics card...

I had never noticed it until a recent change, and now (r12557) it is gone again. At least, it is no longer visible under normal circumstances. I checked with the brightness up to its maximum in a dark room, and now I can see some faint outlines. Practically everything is hidden, although those with very bright monitors and perhaps different colour temperature settings may see something. I'd go blind or never sleep at night if I did that :D And you are right, normally someone would not use the reveal map option.

Edited by dvangennip

It's the first time I notice it...

The minimap looks good when I move into unexplored terrain (check the screenshots).

EDIT: Wait... I thought I was using a more current revision.

I'm going to test it with the most current one again. Sorry!

EDIT2: Yes, it seems to be fixed. :)

I remembered having updated my working copy yesterday but it was the other one on my VM.

post-7202-0-06386500-1346412186_thumb.jp

post-7202-0-47100000-1346412202_thumb.jp

You still get this blurring on the edges on the latest revision?

At least for me that seems to have been fixed.

Wait, I'm confuzzled. Don't his edits say he didn't have that problem after all, or was I reading them wrong..?

edit: Oh, you won't ban me for spammin', will you? :acute:

:spam: No, you shall not be banned, but you must be punished!!

Wait, I'm confuzzled. Don't his edits say he didn't have that problem after all, or was I reading them wrong..?

I had at least two issues before your update: 1) the minimap would sometimes blur at the edges, like in Yves' screenshot and 2) when moving the camera into unexplored terrain, the whole minimap would be revealed. Yves seems to say that 2 has been fixed for him, while his screenshot suggests that 1 hasn't. In my testing, both issues have been fixed.

historic, please try again now (needs recompile). I took a screenshot and I can't see anything in Gimp, not even with maxed brightness/contrast - your monitor must be so bright it's giving you a tan! :D

Btw, zoot, I want to look into that "shimmering rock" problem you encountered. I haven't been able to reproduce it. Does it happen always, or is it triggered by something?

Actually, testing on the latest revision, I am no longer able to reproduce it. :unknw: Maybe those old OpenGL commands were screwing other things up?

Possible, but unlikely. It might have been something else that I'd messed up and later fixed. Oh well, at least the problem's gone now!

Scratch that - I am still able to reproduce it, but it only happens when GLSL is on.

darn. I don't see anything obvious in the shaders or materials that could cause that. It could be that the uniform params aren't being bound correctly or something.

Do you actually see the specularity - meaning, apart from the shimmering, does it work?

darn. darn. Man, the forum's censorship system is stricter than the MPAA in the 1930s. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a darn."

Cleaned up some stuff, check if it made any difference...

Nope, still there :(

It's on all the actors named *_slabs.xml in art/actors/geology. They use the basic_spec.xml material.

I have to modify the above statement. I don't positively see it on metalmine_alpine_slabs.xml, which uses the basic_spec.xml material. I do however positively see it on metalmine_savanna_slabs.xml, metalmine_desert_slabs.xml and other "slabs" that use the basic_specmap.xml material.

Edited by zoot

Got it.

Whoever created the basic_specmap material set it to use self-light, which uses the specular map's alpha channel. Unfortunately, they then forgot to add an alpha channel to the texture they provided, thus there's undefined behaviour. AMD's driver returns black when a channel has nothing in it, while your driver returns random values and you get shimmering.

Removed the self-lighting in that material (which I guess was a mistake). See if it's fixed.

Got it.

Whoever created the basic_specmap material set it to use self-light, which uses the specular map's alpha channel. Unfortunately, they then forgot to add an alpha channel to the texture they provided, thus there's undefined behaviour. AMD's driver returns black when a channel has nothing in it, while your driver returns random values and you get shimmering.

Removed the self-lighting in that material (which I guess was a mistake). See if it's fixed.

Sorry, it's still there. Tried a full 'svn revert -R; svn up' too, but no luck.