Post-processing effects test (SSAO/HDR/Bloom)

Myconid, would it be easier for me to work from a clean SVN (ie Kieran's master branch) or from your merged branch?

Depends on what you want to do next. If it's water stuff, then work from 0ad master branch. If it's ARB stuff, then from my merged (which NB may be a bit behind atm, so let me know first).

Artists shouldn't be using releases for development anyway, so it's no problem if they start working on completely new stuff in the middle of a release cycle, after all that's part of development :P While it might be nice to attract new contributors with fancy features like AO/normalmapping/etc, IMO it doesn't particularly matter if that happens in A11, A12 or later. And also, no one says they can't start working on AO and normal maps now and wait to see how they look in-game. I think we've shown the concept is possible and probable.

Let me put it this way: if someone bothers downloading and using SVN to work on a feature that is only 'probable' to be implemented, they likely belong to a breed of people whose skills/dedication would be put to better use on things like animation and modelling. Making normal maps seems like a comparatively light task that would be better delegated to more casual contributors who are not preoccupied with higher-priority items. But the prerequisite for reaching these contributors is that "someone" spends the effort it takes to make the process super straightforward and risk free.

As far as the difficulty of creating an SVN patch from Git, since we have to commit to SVN, someone has to go through that pain...

If myconid doesn't get around to it, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Edited by zoot

Making normal maps isn't hard at all. The problem is making them look right. You have the influence from the map, and the one that you can tune within the game - at least in Blender we can do that, did you add the influence tuner to the textures tab, myconid? :P

Just download Xnormal, and start the conversion :)

http://www.xnormal.net/Downloads.aspx

Or you can get a Gimp plugin that also does the job.

Making normal maps isn't hard at all. The problem is making them look right. You have the influence from the map, and the one that you can tune within the game - at least in Blender we can do that, did you add the influence tuner to the textures tab, myconid? :P

Just download Xnormal, and start the conversion :)

http://www.xnormal.net/Downloads.aspx

Yes, you can control everything from the material files.

Take the diffuse texture and convert it to normal, if I'm correct.

If it was that simple, we wouldn't need normal maps in the first place - we could just implement the algorithm that xNormal uses in the shader itself. At best, xNormal can generate a guess from the diffuse texture. An artist would still need to tweak and validate the result.

That's why there's this program :)

You can tweak the Normal Values there or even do that in Gimp with it's plugin.

The best and flawless way to get normals right would be to have a high-poly model for each model. But we don't have that, nor we can afford to do something like that.

So the best way is to convert diffuse textures to Normal ones.

That's why there's this program :)

You can tweak the Normal Values there or even do that in Gimp with it's plugin.

The best and flawless way to get normals right would be to have a high-poly model for each model. But we don't have that, nor we can afford to do something like that.

So the best way is to convert diffuse textures to Normal ones.

Right. All I'm saying is that xNormal won't always get it right. Sometimes someone will have to go in and get their hands dirty like Wijitmaker did with the Roman Temple model.

Let me put it this way: if someone bothers downloading and using SVN to work on a feature that is only 'probable' to be implemented, they likely belong to a breed of people whose skills/dedication would be put to better use on things like animation and modelling. Making normal maps seems like a comparatively light task that would be better delegated to more casual contributors who are not preoccupied with higher-priority items. But the prerequisite for reaching these contributors is that "someone" spends the effort it takes to make the process super straightforward and risk free.

I'm pretty sure that the point was that the features may be added to SVN pretty soon after a release (or for that matter at any time after a release) and then it's not just a probable feature anymore. It's just that you are using the newest version of the code and not one which was released X number of days/weeks/months ago :) That said, I'm sure it might be easier to get new people to start contributing if they can begin by working on something with a release version of the game, but on the other hand, if they are ever going to be serious about contributing they will have to learn how to use SVN anyway. And in some ways it's actually easier than developing from a release version as all the data is in a ZIP file etc there, once you just get around the actual downloading of the SVN contents (and possibly build the game if you're not on Windows, but then again if you're using a non-Windows OS you're probably more likely to be prepared to compile the game anyway) it's definitely easy.

That said, I'm sure it might be easier to get new people to start contributing if they can begin by working on something with a release version of the game, but on the other hand, if they are ever going to be serious about contributing they will have to learn how to use SVN anyway.

I guess my point was that someone who just to wants do a normal map or two isn't necessarily looking for any 'serious' engagement, but I'm sure you all will come to the right decision about this.

I guess my point was that someone who just to wants do a normal map or two isn't necessarily looking for any 'serious' engagement, but I'm sure you all will come to the right decision about this.

If they just want to do a normal map or two does it really matter if they get the chance at one point in time or a few months later =) But anyway, the main thing is to get it done well and as soon as possible :)

If they just want to do a normal map or two does it really matter if they get the chance at one point in time or a few months later =)

Yes, because there are a lot of normal maps to do, and actually doing them is only one part of the equation. I don't expect hundreds of people volunteering to do normal maps at the instant the patch hits SVN - it will take some time to propagate.

• Like 1

As for hierarchy, most things are actually independent of each other! I have occasionally merged some branches together for integration testing, but most changes are separate and the relevant commits shouldn't be hard to pick out. There are four different things that can be reviewed more or less simultaneously. IIRC, these are:
  1. modelmapping (merge of modelmapping + effectsdistance2),
  2. terrainmapping (merge of terrainmapping + terrainalpha2),
  3. smoothlos, and
  4. importheightmap.

Tell me the order in which you want these prepared and I'll put the relevant commits in new branches for you to sink your teeth in.

Of those, which ones are finished and you're happy with the code? Let's try avoid reviewing and committing something that might be rewritten later...

Like the multi-texture/multi-coord patches, is there another set of work that acts as a base for other features? And if not, recommend a feature that's done, make a branch with only the commits/code required for it to work, and put them on top of 0ad upstream, then let us know.

I think they are all finished. Imho, it'll be easiest (for me) if modelmapping is done first, which is why I'm currently going through that branch and cleaning it up.

Been kind of busy this week tbh so progress has been a little slow, but I'll definitely find time for it over the weekend.

Patch time! :)

This patch contains all the changes relating to the new model effects and materials. It includes code, shaders, example materials, meshes with extra UVs for "Roman Civil Centre" and "Roman Temple Big", example actors for Roman CC and Mars Temple 2, Wijitmaker's textures and prebaked AO textures for these buildings.

Adds support for AO/parallax/specular/normal/emissive mapping (with tangent generation and all that), windy trees, a system where effects can disable themselves with distance (and in theory other conditions), a basic "time manager" component, "render queries" (so materials can explicitly request information from the renderer) and some other stuff to control effects from the config.

Patch created against latest SVN. Apply with:

patch -p0 -i file.diff

in main 0ad folder. The images need to be copied to binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/skins/structural/.

All who can test, please do!

modelmapping-final1.zip

Very cool. Sounds like a lot of changes. I guess they're all necessary.

Hopefully we can get some of this reviewed within a week :-)

Edit: Are you still pushing to Git? Can you pull everything together into merged when you get a chance. Thanks.

Are you still pushing to Git? Can you pull everything together into merged when you get a chance. Thanks.

I'm starting new branches for each thing, that have everything merged into one commit so it's easier to extract SVN-friendly patches. Here's modelmapping (basically, the same code as above) for starters: https://github.com/m...elmapping-patch

Modelmapping + smoothLOS merge: https://github.com/myconid/0ad/tree/merged-patch1

Does it include some of my portings to ARB? If not, is it a priority that I port this to ARB?

Nope, they'll have to be a separate patch.

Edited by myconid

The patch failed to successfully apply all changes. This was on a clean copy of 0AD, updated to revision 12212.

(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file source/ps/Game.cpp
patching file source/collada/PMDConvert.cpp
Hunk #1 succeeded at 170 with fuzz 1 (offset 6 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 443 with fuzz 1 (offset 6 lines).
patching file source/graphics/Material.h
patching file source/graphics/ShaderManager.h
patching file source/graphics/mikktspace.h
patching file source/graphics/ShaderManager.cpp
patching file source/graphics/ShaderDefines.cpp
Hunk #1 FAILED at 234.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file source/graphics/ShaderDefines.cpp.rej
patching file source/graphics/weldmesh.cpp
patching file source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp
patching file source/graphics/MaterialManager.h
patching file source/graphics/ShaderDefines.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 167.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file source/graphics/ShaderDefines.h.rej
patching file source/graphics/weldmesh.h
patching file source/graphics/MaterialManager.cpp
patching file source/graphics/Material.cpp
patching file source/renderer/TimeManager.h
patching file source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.h
patching file source/renderer/Renderer.h
patching file source/renderer/ModelRenderer.cpp
patching file source/renderer/TimeManager.cpp
patching file source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.h
patching file source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.cpp
patching file source/renderer/Renderer.cpp
patching file source/renderer/VertexBuffer.h
patching file source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.cpp
patching file source/renderer/ModelRenderer.h
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/player_trans_ao_parallax_spec.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/player_trans_ao_spec.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/alphatest_ao_parallax_spec.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/basic_trans_ao_parallax_spec.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/basic_trans_wind.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/structural/rome_temple_big.dae
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/structural/roman_cc.dae
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/pine_w.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_a.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/snow_pine2.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/deci_1.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_b.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_large.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_senegal_date.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_c.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/mediterranean_cypress.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_d.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_date.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/fig_top_a.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/cypress_test.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/fig_top_b.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top_b.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top_c.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/pine.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top_d.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/aleppo_pine.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/poplar.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/grass_1.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date_patch.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/orchard_tree.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/carob_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/dead_a_1.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/dead_a_2.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/lumbardypoplar_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/european_beech_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/carob.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/deci_50percent.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_bloom.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_d.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/lumbardypoplar.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_e.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/pine_animated.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date_tall.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date_short.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/mediterranean_cypress_tall.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/european_beech.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/orchard_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/fig.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/deci_100percent.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_large_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_old.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_medit_fan_palm.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/tree_dead.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/poplar_top.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/structures/romans/temple_mars2.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/structures/romans/civic_centre.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/terrain_common.fs
Hunk #1 FAILED at 40.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/terrain_common.fs.rej
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.xml
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.fs
Hunk #1 FAILED at 2.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 24.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 47.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 66.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 91.
5 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.fs.rej
patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.vs
Hunk #1 FAILED at 13.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 39.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 57.
3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.vs.rej
patching file binaries/data/config/default.cfg
halcyon@halcyon-R580:~/Software/source/0ad_280712$ patch -p0 -i modelmapping-final1.diff

I'm getting this now.

halcyon@halcyon-R580:~/Software/source/_0ad_280712$ patch -p0 -i mmpatch.diff

can't find file to patch at input line 11

Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?

The text leading up to this was:

--------------------------

|commit 194817c5e003e918f344de89ee2aef185fbd89a0

|Author: myconid <removed>

|Date: Sat Jul 28 12:03:27 2012 +0300

|

| ao/parallax/normal/specular/emissive mapping; windy trees; time manager; render queries; etc

|

|diff --git a/binaries/data/config/default.cfg b/binaries/data/config/default.cfg

|index 06af9c0..e9bbaf8 100644

|--- a/binaries/data/config/default.cfg

|+++ b/binaries/data/config/default.cfg

--------------------------

File to patch:

In the diff, all of the file paths are written as such.

diff --git a/binaries/data/config/default.cfg b/binaries/data/config/default.cfg
index 06af9c0..e9bbaf8 100644
--- a/binaries/data/config/default.cfg
+++ b/binaries/data/config/default.cfg

I'm not familiar with the syntax of diff files, but the "a/..." and "b/..." shouldn't be preceding the file paths, should they? I modified your diff file, removing them, and the patch now seems to have applied properly, bar a bit of fuzz.

halcyon@halcyon-R580:~/Software/source/_0ad_280712$ patch -p0 -i mmpatch_2.diff

patching file binaries/data/config/default.cfg

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/aleppo_pine.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_bloom.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_a.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_b.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_c.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/apple_top_d.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top_b.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top_c.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/baobab_top_d.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/carob.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/carob_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/cypress_test.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/dead_a_1.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/dead_a_2.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/deci_1.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/deci_100percent.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/deci_50percent.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/european_beech.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/european_beech_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/fig.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/fig_top_a.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/fig_top_b.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/grass_1.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/lumbardypoplar.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/lumbardypoplar_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/mediterranean_cypress.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/mediterranean_cypress_tall.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_large.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_large_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_old.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/oak_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/orchard_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/orchard_tree.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date_patch.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date_short.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_cretan_date_tall.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_d.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_date.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_e.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_medit_fan_palm.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/palm_senegal_date.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/pine.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/pine_animated.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/pine_w.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/poplar.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/poplar_top.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/snow_pine2.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/flora/trees/tree_dead.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/structures/romans/civic_centre.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors/structures/romans/temple_mars2.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/alphatest_ao_parallax_spec.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/basic_trans_ao_parallax_spec.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/basic_trans_wind.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/player_trans_ao_parallax_spec.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/player_trans_ao_spec.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/player_trans_parallax.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/materials/trans_wind.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/structural/roman_cc.dae

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/structural/rome_temple_big.dae

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.fs

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.vs

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/model_common.xml

patching file binaries/data/mods/public/shaders/glsl/terrain_common.fs

patching file source/collada/PMDConvert.cpp

Hunk #1 succeeded at 170 with fuzz 1 (offset 6 lines).

Hunk #2 succeeded at 443 with fuzz 1 (offset 6 lines).

patching file source/graphics/Material.cpp

patching file source/graphics/Material.h

patching file source/graphics/MaterialManager.cpp

patching file source/graphics/MaterialManager.h

patching file source/graphics/ShaderDefines.cpp

patching file source/graphics/ShaderDefines.h

patching file source/graphics/ShaderManager.cpp

patching file source/graphics/ShaderManager.h

patching file source/graphics/mikktspace.cpp

patching file source/graphics/mikktspace.h

patching file source/graphics/weldmesh.cpp

patching file source/graphics/weldmesh.h

patching file source/ps/Game.cpp

patching file source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.cpp

patching file source/renderer/InstancingModelRenderer.h

patching file source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.cpp

patching file source/renderer/MikktspaceWrap.h

patching file source/renderer/ModelRenderer.cpp

patching file source/renderer/ModelRenderer.h

patching file source/renderer/Renderer.cpp

patching file source/renderer/Renderer.h

patching file source/renderer/TimeManager.cpp

patching file source/renderer/TimeManager.h

patching file source/renderer/VertexBuffer.h

I've attached the modified diff in case anyone else needs it.

mmpatch_2.diff.zip