Unit Summary Table

quantumstate

I thought it would be nice to have tables quickly showing the attack, defence, cost etc. for the units in the game.

I coded a script in python to read the unit xml files so they can quickly be updated when the game is rebalanced etc. I have put the result on the wiki at Unit Summary Table. I added a link to it from the Manual_Units page, hopefully that is ok.

If anyone has suggestions for improvements that would be good, also the script is linked at the bottom of the page if you want to modify/use it.

The champion ranged infantry inherits from the template_unit_champion_infantry (via intermediate files). Currently they never use the melee attack. My script just reads the xml files and output what is there. I could add a switch so that if ranged attack exists then no melee is output. That would reflect the current game-play but not the current unit data. There is a mention here about multiple attack types for Super Units (which I think are now champion units) so it looks like in the future it may be used.

I will add speed, ships and siege to the script, thanks. (Edit: changes have been made)

Edited by quantumstate

Is this script in real-time? Meaning, if I change something and commit it, will it then show up on that Wiki page?

No, I don't have a suitable machine to constantly monitor the changes to svn. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone to set up if they are interested.

The unit stats were being pulled from the advanced forms because I hadn't realised what the _b form meant. I have switched to the basic forms now since this is what gets trained and have added a note to clarify this.

Edited by quantumstate

The champion ranged infantry inherits from the template_unit_champion_infantry (via intermediate files). Currently they never use the melee attack. My script just reads the xml files and output what is there. I could add a switch so that if ranged attack exists then no melee is output. That would reflect the current game-play but not the current unit data. There is a mention here about multiple attack types for Super Units (which I think are now champion units) so it looks like in the future it may be used.

I will add speed, ships and siege to the script, thanks. (Edit: changes have been made)

Multiple attacks is indeed a feature we intend to add eventually :)

No, I don't have a suitable machine to constantly monitor the changes to svn. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone to set up if they are interested.

That's fine. I could see us running this script after each Alpha/Beta, then after each post-release patch. It would be interesting (for number nerds) to see the historical changes.

The unit stats were being pulled from the advanced forms because I hadn't realised what the _b form meant. I have switched to the basic forms now since this is what gets trained and have added a note to clarify this.

It would be cool to have tabs that allow the viewer to tab between Basic, Advanced, and Elite. Not sure if the wiki format can do this though. And some Champion units have upgrades as well (Hypaspists -> Argyraspides).

This is great stuff, though. Keep it up! :)

It would be cool to have tabs that allow the viewer to tab between Basic, Advanced, and Elite. Not sure if the wiki format can do this though. And some Champion units have upgrades as well (Hypaspists -> Argyraspides).

I just checked the Trac WikiFormatting documentation and they don't have tabs for this. I don't think it is worth the hassle of maintaining multiple pages either.

Probably we should do <Attack replace="">...</Attack> in the ranged champions, so that they replace the melee attack parameters instead of merging both sets of elements together.

(Then the Python script would have to be fixed handle replace="", I guess :). I have a Perl script that does the XML inheritance properly (in the script's apply_layer function) - replace="" and disable="" and datatype="tokens" trigger the special behaviour. Maybe it'd be nice to have a Python equivalent of that, returning the entire resulting template after applying the generic inheritance stuff, then the stats script can pick out the desired fields from that.)

It would be cool to have tabs that allow the viewer to tab between Basic, Advanced, and Elite. Not sure if the wiki format can do this though.

If it's too inconvenient in the wiki then we easily have a standalone HTML page with the script's output.

as i read the indeed fabulous unit-table above i was curious about carthaginian siege units. will there be any?

if you go back in the history the carthaginians weren't famous at all for siege-equipment, but as only siege units will be able to destroy buildings (which i'm in favour of) there should be at least some minimum siege equipment for any civ, right?!

and i think there should be an animation for if non-siege units (e.g. infantry, cavalry) attack buildings they should somehow pillage the buildings (as seen in AoE III)

just some thoughts,

can't wait for alpha 7, keep up the great work you guys

Edited by JuliusColtranePille