Fog of war

Brian: Philip-: I've got some comments about the FoW.

Brian: First, I don't think an enemy or Gaia unit should stay selected when they go back into the FoW or SoD.

Philip-: Good point

Brian: Also, I don't think you should be able to click on things visible in FoW. For example, if you click a tree and see that its resources are going down, you know where the enemy is gathering wood.

Philip-: Hmm

Philip-: If there's an enemy building, you should probably still be able to click it and see its name

Philip-: (otherwise it'll be annoying because you'd have to memorise what all the buildings look like)

Philip-: but maybe shouldn't see its hitpoints etc

Philip-: What if a tree/building in the fog gets destroyed?

Brian: I don't think enemy buildings behind FoW were clickable in AoK. I know that sometimes buildings hidden behind FoW would disappear when you got to them because they were no longer there (someone else had destroyed it since you had been there.)

Philip-: If we want to hide that information and keep displaying it until you get close enough to see, it's a bit of a pain when you tell a unit to gather/attack a target that doesn't really exist

Philip-: I suppose we'd have to create fake placeholder entities in fog, and then set up things (GUI, UnitAI, etc) so it automatically switches its selection to the real entity (if any) when it comes into view again

Brian: If trees disappeared as they were exhausted, then that's the same problem. All you would have to do would be to look for a cleared out area. If any trees were missing when you looked again later, then you know something is happening there.

Brian: I don't think you should be able to target things in FoW, trees or otherwise (since they may not even exist anymore).

Philip-: That doesn't sound nice for players

Philip-: If I've previously seen the enemy city, and then built a new army and want to attack, I want to be able to click on the fogged enemy buildings to give attack orders

Philip-: I think the current approach is probably okay for the next release, but it should be improved later to do proper information-hiding if that's what we want

I agree with Philip on the clickable thing. and i don't think we should show that the building is destroyed when its destroyed. the state of the area in fog should represent the state it was in when it was last explored, that makes sense and its more realistic. if a building is destroyed when its in fog it should still be clickable since the player(you) when it was last explored thinks that it still is alive...

I've been using it the same way as you (SoD = black unexplored regions, FoW = grey previously-explored regions where you have only partial knowledge), and it looks like that's the way most people on the web use it, and we can define things to mean whatever we want within our own game, so I'll say you're right :victory: