ARCHÉ

SMST

Much better. I would recommend that you call the "Imperial Age" perhaps the "Conquest Age". I would also recommend calling the "Stone Age" the "Patriarchal Age" too.

Patriarchal Age is too obscure even for me, sorry.:) Not sure about the "Imperial/Conquest Age". Maybe this specific age would be called differently for each faction, which would in this case be "Hellenistic Age".

What do you all think about the faction merging? Would it make gameplay too inconsistent/complicated? If so, what are everyone's ideas for a pre-modern/modern evolvement of this Mediterranean faction?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well for ages, since there's presumably gonna be different names for each one, you could simply list them as archaeological periods by year and come up with the names for the eras of each civ, and then decide what the "proper" name should be depending on what is most common to each civ

I could also just number the ages, like EE2 did. (though I didn't like that solution) If I use set archaeological/historical periods, it would perhaps be too limiting. This would be a rough guess, though:

1. Stone Age (5000 - 2000 BC)

2. Bronze Age (2000 - 1200 BC)

3. Iron Age (1200 - 500 BC)

4. Classical Age (500 - 300 BC)

5. "Hellenistic" Age (300 BC - 400 AD)

6. Dark Age (400 - 1000 AD)

7. Medieval Age (1000 - 1400 AD)

8. Renaissance Age (1400 - 1600 AD)

9. Colonial Age (1600 - 1750 AD)

10. Enlightenment Age (1750 - 1820 AD)

11. Industrial Age (1820 - 1920 AD)

12. Atomic Age (1920 - 1950 AD)

13. Information Age (1950 - 2000 AD)

14. Global Age (2000 - 2050 AD)

I used round numbers here simply because it looks better. I think it is quite clear which date stands for what period.

Edited by SMST

Do you plan to make tanks have cool cloaking devices at A.D. 2050?

The Global Age will be modern age military, maybe spiced up with some "futuristic" technology that is still prototype in 2010 A.D., but in development and technically possible. There will be no lasers, floating tanks or killer robots, no sci-fi, so to speak. I don't know if "cool cloaking devices" are currently in development for tanks, but I'd appreciate sources.:) If they are possible and realistic, they might be in.

The Global Age will be modern age military, maybe spiced up with some "futuristic" technology that is still prototype in 2010 A.D., but in development and technically possible. There will be no lasers, floating tanks or killer robots, no sci-fi, so to speak. I don't know if "cool cloaking devices" are currently in development for tanks, but I'd appreciate sources. If they are possible and realistic, they might be in.

How about nuclear fussion?

Loot of talk less work... just kidding but seriosly are you guys serious making like that much ages/faction it will take more then years, it will take centuries..... just kidding :P but will you guys make it or is it just a dream?

I wonder whom you are adressing with "you guys". It's really just me for now, plus some helpful advice from some other forumers.:P

As for your question, yep, I am at least trying to make it. I am well aware of the fact that it is much work and I'll be probably failing, but at least I'll have fun planning and trying.^^ It's not that I would be starting from scratch, either. Most of the core gameplay mechanics will come from 0 A.D. Vanilla. What this is really about, is art and scripting for all the factions (for which I have someone in the future, at least for textures) and some programming for things like flying units (aircraft). I'll also make it step by step. Which means: The lower ages, up to the fifth age, are really just about making new artwork and XML-Files, because of the flexibility of 0 A.D. All animation for spearmen, swordsmen etc. are already there and can be used. There will be a needeventually for new animations and models and finally for new programming, but I hope to make enough cool stuff to attract people who can do said things with the assets of 0 A.D. :)

Ok, but it´s will be easier to just make like 2 factions or 3 or 4. And it would probely become somthing if doing that (at least faster). But it´s your idea so if you wanna make it have fun then doing it :P

Well, 2 factions are a bit meager. I think I could start off with just Western, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and North Africa for now and see if I'll add Far Eastern and Steppe People later. However, 6 factions are not too much, I think. (I had 20 in the beginning, see.:))

Ok but thats good! :) Have some sketches or models on the buildings/units?

No specific sketches, though I have shitloads of artwork of all periods from the net on my PC. Also, I found someone to make some textures. I just need to lay down my final concept.

I've also combined the North African faction with the Middle Eastern one. That means there will be no visually distinct African people, but since the Middle East and North Africa were and are strongly culturally linked, it makes sense to treat them as one. For the sixth faction that is now left, I thought of taking India, which would be very interesting (war elephants, religious system etc.)

If anyone comes up with an idea how to evolve the Mediterranean faction into the future, I'd be glad.

Edited by SMST

Factions:

Western

Mediterranean

Middle Eastern

China

India

Steppe

Ages:

For a comprehensive overview.:) (I did post the ages one page ago, though)

a couple of suggestions: change China and India to East Asian or Far Eastern and Subcontinental or South Asian. this way, you can also encompass korea and japan in Eastasia/Fareast and gives some consistency to the naming of factions

Edited by oshron

a couple of suggestions: change China and India to East Asian or Far Eastern and Subcontinental or South Asian. this way, you can also encompass korea and japan in Eastasia/Fareast and gives some consistency to the naming of factions

The very reason I didn't do this was because it is hard to find paralells, culturally and militaristic, between India, China and Japan that would justify to have them in the same faction. Especially India is way off, Japan and Korea are related to each other, but there is no real link between all four.

no, no, i mean change China into East Asia or Far Eastern (encompassing countries like China, Korea, and Japan, which are of similar descent iirc and which can be differentiated by technology like what you already suggested for the Mediterraneans to create such civilizations as the Greeks and Romans) while India becomes Subcontinental or South Asian (more for consistency in the naming of your factions than anything else)

Factions:

Western

Mediterranean

Middle Eastern

China

India

Steppe

Ages:

For a comprehensive overview.:) (I did post the ages one page ago, though)

Ok, looks good! If I were you I maybe combine the 2 and 3, and maybe 4 and 5. Just my opinion...

no, no, i mean change China into East Asia or Far Eastern (encompassing countries like China, Korea, and Japan, which are of similar descent iirc and which can be differentiated by technology like what you already suggested for the Mediterraneans to create such civilizations as the Greeks and Romans) while India becomes Subcontinental or South Asian (more for consistency in the naming of your factions than anything else)

Oh. Well, you are right about consistency. Japan and Korea are still culturally different from China. Because of the nature of the Far East (natural barriers etc.) there was not that much of a cultural exchange between the different countries as we have them today. (save Japan and Korea) Still, it might be worth having them in. The main reason why I wanted to focus on China alone was that they would be perfect for a classic "mass over materials" faction, which doesn't really apply to the other two.

Ok, looks good! If I were you I maybe combine the 2 and 3, and maybe 4 and 5. Just my opinion...

It has to do with gameplay (which is different for each faction, similar to 0 A.D. Also, I'd like to have the Barbarians seperated from the Romans/Greeks (so that they can fight them, of course) Same goes with Feudal Europe and the Byzantine Empire.

The Steppe and India (South Asia) are very, very different both culture and playing style. The Steppe faction will focus around light, but powerful cavalry (horse archers) plus some quite heavy cavalry (Mongol lancers), but little to no infantry. They are good for a rush/raid strategy.

India, on the other side, is primarily defensive. Strong ranged units (Indian longbow), strong architecture, powerful religious units and, of course, war elephants will give them a good edge if they are attacked.

I'm still not sure about the Mediterranean issue.

1. Let the player choose at the end of the Byzantine empire if he wants to continue the game as either Westerner or Mideasterner. (which would kinda ruin the idea of differentiated factions)

or

2. Evolve into a seperate european nation - which? Russia springs into my mind, but the playing style would, again, be very different, since Russia was not really known for his heavy infantry, which is what the Mediterraneans are primarily famous for.

Any help? :)

Oh. Well, you are right about consistency. Japan and Korea are still culturally different from China. Because of the nature of the Far East (natural barriers etc.) there was not that much of a cultural exchange between the different countries as we have them today. (save Japan and Korea) Still, it might be worth having them in. The main reason why I wanted to focus on China alone was that they would be perfect for a classic "mass over materials" faction, which doesn't really apply to the other two.

It has to do with gameplay (which is different for each faction, similar to 0 A.D. Also, I'd like to have the Barbarians seperated from the Romans/Greeks (so that they can fight them, of course) Same goes with Feudal Europe and the Byzantine Empire.

The Steppe and India (South Asia) are very, very different both culture and playing style. The Steppe faction will focus around light, but powerful cavalry (horse archers) plus some quite heavy cavalry (Mongol lancers), but little to no infantry. They are good for a rush/raid strategy.

India, on the other side, is primarily defensive. Strong ranged units (Indian longbow), strong architecture, powerful religious units and, of course, war elephants will give them a good edge if they are attacked.

I'm still not sure about the Mediterranean issue.

1. Let the player choose at the end of the Byzantine empire if he wants to continue the game as either Westerner or Mideasterner. (which would kinda ruin the idea of differentiated factions)

or

2. Evolve into a seperate european nation - which? Russia springs into my mind, but the playing style would, again, be very different, since Russia was not really known for his heavy infantry, which is what the Mediterraneans are primarily famous for.

Any help? :)

I would go for the nr 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Mycenaeans would be the dominant theme of the Mediterranean Bronze Age. I don't know if there are specific Italian cultures that would compare with them, so the differentiation between Greece and Rome/Italy would begin in the Iron Age, where the player would be able to choose his subfactions.

Sumerians are actually pre-Bronze age, I think - for the Middle Eastern Bronze Age ingame I'd like to use Hittites and early Babylonians. You are right, though, that the choosing of the subfactions of the Middle East should take place earlier than the Iron Age, since the cultures there were more differentiated, and that earlier than in Mediterranean Europe.

I would go for the nr 2

So the Byzantines evolving into Russian?