A new git-based development environment

30 minutes ago, Itms said:

Well I suppose it should happen at the split, not before. Currently this repository is 0ad, since it contains the game assets.

Possibly, although one might argue since we're breaking everything we might do it now instead of later but that's debatable :)

By the way did you find a better irc bot than mine, or should I make mine point to your instance, to test the load ?

1 hour ago, Itms said:

Don't you need ".git" at the end of the remote url? If not, that's an actual bug I have to take a look at.

That's what GitHub does with the other repo for the encyclopedia, however my other project that I use vscodium with on codeburg doesn't have .git, and I can sync that perfectly fine. I'm for the most part an idiot when it comes to programming, so there might be another reason...

I'm

1 hour ago, Itms said:

Please don't restrain yourself, test away. Better detect bottlenecks now.

Do you want me to see if it can handle big files? I just downloaded the Ubuntu 23.10 iso and I can see if it handles that. (Please confirm it's like 5 GB and I don't want to break something or cost you a lot of money.

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

By the way did you find a better irc bot than mine, or should I make mine point to your instance, to test the load ?

I didn't look into that! You can test for sure, especially since I don't have access to the ircbots machine.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Do you want me to see if it can handle big files? I just downloaded the Ubuntu 23.10 iso and I can see if it handles that.

Please test. It is supposed to fail/deny the upload.

Please confirm it's like 5 GB and I don't want to break something or cost you a lot of money.

If it breaks I'll fix and learn a lesson, and the costs for this server are fixed, so no worries about that.

Another thing that comes to mind is milestone for bugs, useless and only causes pushing back over and over again ...

People work on a ticked if they feel like it, so pretending otherwise doesn't do good to anyone.

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

Another thing that comes to mind is milestone for bugs, useless and only causes pushing back over and over again ...

People work on a ticked if they feel like it, so pretending otherwise doesn't do good to anyone.

That's out of scope for the migration (and milestones are one of the rare features that perfectly match between Trac and Gitea...) . And I've been inactive for some time but the milestones were necessary to plan releases.

Also we have website / forum bugs on trac, moving them into 0ad source repo seems wrong

That's true, but I can't drop those tickets during the migration. Maybe they can be moved to a different website repo if we start seriously versioning our website theme. Or maybe we should have a Wfg infrastructure repo. That will have to wait, and the corresponding label will stay in the meantime.

fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://gitea.itms.ovh/ShadowOfHassen/historyencylopedia/'

Uuuuh once again that final slash looks highly suspicious. Not having ".git" is unusual but treating that as a directory seems wrong. I will try to upload things and trigger your errors during the weekend.

But it would help if you'd send the commands you tried to run, and also the full output from git, because for an authentication issue I'd like to know if you are using a password manager, whether git prompted you for identifiers, etc.

Could someone else verify that they can upload files to the service?

For the record, I uploaded the 0ad repo through ssh and the commits on the "future" branch with http,so both methods work, at least in some contexts.

14 minutes ago, Itms said:

That's true, but I can't drop those tickets during the migration. Maybe they can be moved to a different website repo if we start seriously versioning our website theme. Or maybe we should have a Wfg infrastructure repo. That will have to wait, and the corresponding label will stay in the meantime.

I like the idea of having multiple repos/ tags for bug tracking. Then, people can haunt the areas that are their specialties. (I want to eventually see everything about text writing/ changes in the game)

16 minutes ago, Itms said:

Uuuuh once again that final slash looks highly suspicious. Not having ".git" is unusual but treating that as a directory seems wrong. I will try to upload things and trigger your errors during the weekend.

According to this random thing, it shouldn't have any difference.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8686691/what-does-the-git-mean-in-a-git-url

I was using vs codium and Gitg, if you want to recreate.

I've tried to upload files via CLI and i'm getting this error:

fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://gitea.itms.ovh/ShadowOfHassen/historyencylopedia/'

Could someone else verify that they can upload files to the service?

This time, however was just git push

1 hour ago, Itms said:

That's out of scope for the migration

Fair enough

1 hour ago, Itms said:

That's true, but I can't drop those tickets during the migration

maybe dump them into a wfg/issues repo with only a readme as source instead?

Opened a bug with a dummy account, but none are listed in the created by you section of the user

25 minutes ago, Stan` said:

By the way Itms what about the art, art_source and audio subfolders of current SVN ?

They are still served over SVN (svn.itms.ovh), with audio and art_source public; art private, I didn't change anything.

None of that is in the git repo. I had to overcome a few issues arising from "svn copy" being used between repos, and I also had to expunge a few sensitive files from ps, that are private in SVN, those are not in the git repo either.

On 04/04/2024 at 9:38 PM, Itms said:

- code.itms.ovh A registration-disabled copy of Phabricator, upgraded to the latest version (RIP).

All the inactive accounts were deleted, especially the dormant spam accounts.

This should stay up as much as possible. We need to keep all the discussions on patches and commits. TODO: I need to find a (possibly ugly) way to disable the upload of new diffs.

Why not migrate them to gitea pull requests? I remember blender intending to do so and having some success in tooling at some point. If not reasonably possible what is the path to make that instance read-only and possibly static html?

How are editing wiki and bugs to be handled? Give everyone access as now done on track?

53 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I'm not sure you can migrate code comments and whatnot on Gitea.

If no third party did the tooling then us writing it with the available developer time budget is probably unrealistic even if theoretically possible (gitea supports inline comments). However, there is no way around that at some point phab must be read-only, ideally at the time of migration. Simply opening an issue on gitea with a link to a differential would be a simple albeit subpar solution.

2 hours ago, hyperion said:

Why not migrate them to gitea pull requests? I remember blender intending to do so and having some success in tooling at some point.

It seems unrealistic to me to automatically convert SVN patches on arbitrary revisions to branches of git commits. Importing the discussions could probably be done but it's a huge amount of work I'm not interested in doing.

If not reasonably possible what is the path to make that instance read-only and possibly static html?

The path is documented on the page Phabricator.

How are editing wiki and bugs to be handled? Give everyone access as now done on track?

Yes, I already created a Docs team with wiki edit access. But so far this post doesn't have a huge success, as almost nobody has asked for the password to their gitea account. So it hasn't been tested yet.

48 minutes ago, Itms said:

Yes, I already created a Docs team with wiki edit access. But so far this post doesn't have a huge success, as almost nobody has asked for the password to their gitea account. So it hasn't been tested yet.

If you add me to the Docs team, I'll test it.

• Like 1

Oh @hyperion I hadn't realized that you had created an account instead of using your migrated Trac account.

11 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

If you add me to the Docs team, I'll test it.

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm! I added you. Can you check that you can edit the wiki but didn't get any extra permission for the repo nor the issues?

By the way, did uploading the Ubuntu ISO correctly fail?

Interesting your git repo is 13GB while mine was like 6.7GB in bare form, I wonder why that is. Especially since you removed everything in binaries including that 100MB macos exe that was committed once and the history of autobuilded exe + all the spidermonkey tarballs. And nvtt / fcollada

In the top bar you could add a link to SVN and Docs.wildfiregames.com I suppose.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Interesting your git repo is 13GB while mine was like 6.7GB in bare form, I wonder why that is.

A bare clone of my repo is 5.9 GiB. Unfortunately a checkout will take twice as much space (.git is 5.9GiB, binaries/ is the same size when LFS files are downloaded).

On the other hand, on Gitea, the entire history of LFS files is stored, and that takes 13GiB, which is what is displayed in the web interface.

Maybe I should make a change in the documentation, to avoid confusion, and write "12GiB" for the size of a checkout. So that people don't mix that up with the 13GiB of stored LFS files in Gitea. It's a coincidence the values are similar: it basically means that each asset of the game has on average two versions in history. If it was, say, three, the size of the LFS repo would be 18GiB while the checkout would still be 12. I think :huh:

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

In the top bar you could add a link to SVN and Docs.wildfiregames.com I suppose.

The SVN repos are not supposed to be web-visited so maybe not clutter the top bar, however adding the docs is a fantastic idea. I saw the huge progress on that front a couple days ago, congrats! (y)

2 hours ago, Itms said:

I hadn't realized that you had created an account instead

np :)

2 hours ago, Itms said:

Can you check that you can edit the wiki but didn't get any extra permission for the repo nor the issues?

Can't edit the wiki with the new account, same for bugs and I just assume I can't push either. About bugs guess we need a group as well, @Langbart's work would be a good example for the bug-wrangler role.

3 hours ago, Itms said:
6 hours ago, hyperion said:

If not reasonably possible what is the path to make that instance read-only and possibly static html?

The path is documented on the page Phabricator.

Guess an acceptable compromise. Is there a similar document for trac becoming read-only?

1 hour ago, Itms said:

The SVN repos are not supposed to be web-visited so maybe not clutter the top bar, however adding the docs is a fantastic idea. I saw the huge progress on that front a couple days ago, congrats!

Thanks. I'm happy I could get everything to work :)

There is still too much manual input for JS but at least its there.

There has been some progress on the doxygen front

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D5252

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D5255

Guess an acceptable compromise. Is there a similar document for trac becoming read-only?

Irc the goal was to get rid of trac since it gets completely absorbed in gitea. Then we can just make the domain point to the gitea for some time I guess ?

19 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Irc the goal was to get rid of trac since it gets completely absorbed in gitea. Then we can just make the domain point to the gitea for some time I guess ?

I guess that is what the adriane tool mentioned is meant for but a draft document outlining the plan would allow us to actually comment on not just guesses ;)

@Itms , I remember @Stan` had a header header which look quite slick for his PoC, maybe you could reuse it (didn't screenshot it). Would give the instance a cooperate branding / personal touch and would give the links leaving the instance a separate place to live as having them mixed feels not that great tbh.