Community mod 26.6 elephants

Elephants balancing poll  

15 members have voted

1. 1. how to improve the poor performance of elephants?

• boost crush damage some: 45 crush to 60
    • reduce population cost to 1
    • increase elephant hack splash damage to 25 from 20.
    • 1 and 2
    • 2 and 3

Hi everyone, I think most people would agree elephants are in an awkward spot in the latest community mod. They have been given a splash hack attack to improve their utility vs soldiers, and in turn their crush damage for destroying buildings is reduced.

Right now, elephants don't feel good enough vs buildings to be used as siege, and they don't feel good enough against soldiers to justify their high cost. There are a number of ways to improve this, but they all involve the unit design somewhat, so I added a poll to gauge popularity and generate some discussion.

• Add some crush damage back to elephants
  • Reduce elephant population cost to 1, as they are now more of a fighting unit rather than a siege unit (elephant archers also to 1 pop cost)
  • increase elephant hack splash damage.
Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Reduce elephant population cost to 1, as they are now more of a fighting unit rather than a siege unit (elephant archers also to 1 pop cost)

It would be nice if it was a hybrid so it has a dual purpose.

But it should not be the best siege option.

But in real life an elephant has the strength to destroy houses.

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The poll is going to default to how they've always been used.

That's the problem with asking players, they're going to always want the way the game was before, like when they got used to alpha 23.

We have to force the advance sometimes, there are people who will like the nostalgia of AoE I and II with the elephants used as battering rams, but you have to leave those archaisms (I mean it's obsolete) aside sometimes( not always) I like the concept of the scythed chariots of AoE I for those of 0 AD, at least their role and that they stop being a copy paste of mounted archer, we have many units that do that role even within the same faction.

• Like 1