Civ: Sasanians

Screenshot_20240121-112436.thumb.png.613f5204415b3ba6839c04ffe0638bed.png

QALʿA-YE DOḴTAR, a vast barrier fortress with a lofty palace of royal dimensions, built by the founder of the Sasanian empire, Ardašir I Pāpakān before his decisive victory against the last Parthian king in 224 CE (FIGURE 1). It is built on a high spur of rock above a bend of the Tang-āb gorge, which is the main access point to the plain of Firuzābād from central Fārs. It is mentioned by earlier travelers (see Curzon, II, p. 228, n. 2), but Ernst Herzfeld (1926, pp. 252-52; idem, 1935, p. 95) was the first to recognize the correct layout of the fortress. Aurel Stein provided a more comprehensive description with a good topographic map of the palace, but he misunderstood the outline of the palace, and his interpretation of the building was not accurate (Stein, pp. 123-27). The site was surveyed in 1966 and 1972 on behalf of the German Archeological Institute. Between 1975 and 1977, excavations were carried out in preparation for a UNESCO restoration program on behalf of the Department of Conservation of Archeological Sites and National Monuments (Edāra-ye koll-e ḥefāẓat-e āṯār-e bāstāni wa banāhā-ye tāriḵ-i; Huff, 1969-70; 1971; 1973; 1976; 1978; 1983-84; 1993; Gignoux).

https://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/qala-ye-doktar

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sassanian military was heavily dependent on cavalry. Therefore, I recommend adding these units to the Sassanian faction :

Vacabara: Lightly-armoured horse archers with long range and fast speed but low attack damage and low total health value.

Dehqan cavalry: medium-strength cavalry with bow and lance. Quite balanced role.

Cataphract:  heavily armoured cavalry with lance, but moves slowly. They should have very big total health value 

Azadan: elite cavalry that can switch between bow and lance. 

It would be an improvement to allow some Persian and Sassanian cavalry units to switch between bow and spear using a hotkey. Historical Sassanians did this to accommodate for long distance arrow fights and short range combat. In the game, this feature allows the player play more strategies using the same units. 

I look forward to playing with this faction. 

Edited by Dr.Ahmadinejad
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr.Ahmadinejad said:

Sassanian military was heavily dependent on cavalry. Therefore, I recommend adding these units to the Sassanian faction :

Vacabara: Lightly-armoured horse archers with long range and fast speed but low attack damage and low total health value.

Dehqan cavalry: medium-strength cavalry with bow and lance. Quite balanced role.

Cataphract:  heavily armoured cavalry with lance, but moves slowly. They should have very big total health value 

Azadan: elite cavalry that can switch between bow and lance. 

It would be an improvement to allow some Persian and Sassanian cavalry units to switch between bow and spear using a hotkey. Historical Sassanians did this to accommodate for long distance arrow fights and short range combat. In the game, this feature allows the player play more strategies using the same units. 

I look forward to playing with this faction. 

The basics are:

Spearmans.

Archers (in this case it applies instead of skirmishers).

Heavy shock infantry either normal or champion.

You already mentioned cavalry.

3 heroes.

some other unit 

The name of the priest/healer.

• Thanks 1

On 13/02/2024 at 7:57 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

The basics are:

Spearmans.

Archers (in this case it applies instead of skirmishers).

Heavy shock infantry either normal or champion.

You already mentioned cavalry.

3 heroes.

some other unit 

The name of the priest/healer.

Cavalry

Aswar-I Zrehgan (Azadan, later Dehqan)

Aswar-I Kamanan (Dehqan)

Champion cavalry 

Zhayedan (Immortals)

Pilban (War Elephant)

Infantry

Kamandar (Archer)

Nezagdar (Spearman)

Champion infantry 

Zarrin Nezagdar (Golden Spearman)

Gund-I Shahanshah (Elite Daylami Guards of the King of Kings)

Kamandar-I Shahvar (Royal Archer)

For Late Sassanid Empire

Edited by d34d svn
  • Like 1

Alternative options: (For Delenda Est only)

Cavalry

Aswar-I Zrehgan (Azadan, later Dehqan)

Aswar-I Kamanan (Dehqan)

Champion cavalry 

Zhayedan (Immortals)

Pilban (Armoured War Elephant)

Infantry

Kamandar (Archer)

Nezagdar (Spearman)

Artestar-I Eransahr (Dismounted Sassanian Cavalry)

Champion infantry

Artestar-I Zhayedan (Dismounted Immortal)

Kamandar-I Shahvar (Royal Archer)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Screenshot_20240317-215835.png

Sasanian Asvaran (knight). During the time of the Roman Empire and the Sasanian Empire, both Roman soldiers and Sasanian knights wore advanced armor suited to their respective combat styles and environments. Here's a comparison highlighting the superiority of Sasanian knight armor: 1.

**Materials and Construction:** -Roman soldiers primarily wore lorica segmentata (segmented plate armor) or lorica hamata (chainmail), which provided decent protection but could be heavy and restrictive. - Sasanian knights, on the other hand, wore lamellar armor, consisting of small rectangular plates laced together with leather cords or metal rings. This design offered flexibility, durability, and better coverage compared to Roman armor.

2. **Protection and Mobility:*

Sasanian lamellar armor provided excellent protection against both slashing and piercing attacks while allowing greater freedom of movement compared to the segmented plate armor worn by Roman soldiers. Roman armor, although effective, could be cumbersome and limit mobility, especially during prolonged battles or in rough terrain.

3. **Helmet Design:** -Roman soldiers typically wore the iconic Galea, a helmet with various designs depending on the period. While offering good protection for the head, it had limited visibility and ventilation. - Sasanian knights wore helmets with a conical or rounded shape, often adorned with protective face masks or cheek guards. These helmets provided adequate protection while allowing better peripheral vision and airflow, enhancing comfort during combat.

4. **Offensive Capabilities:** - Sasanian knights were adept horsemen and often used composite bows in addition to their melee weapons. Their armor allowed them to maneuver swiftly on horseback while maintaining protection. - Roman soldiers relied heavily on their shield (scutum) and short swords (gladius) for close-quarters combat. While effective in formations, Roman armor was less suited for mounted warfare compared to the Sasanian lamellar armor. Overall, the Sasanian knight armor was superior to that of a Roman soldier at the time due to its combination of protection, mobility, and versatility, especially in the context of mounted warfare.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen