Some cool engine effects

Historicity

Top 1 game of all time. :)

Second is The Urquan Masters.

He liked AOE2. He was talking about AOM, I believe. His wording was poor. :)

Ah, I can see now. I thought he was being sarcastic with the "(which is King, pun intended)".

By the way, what is that avatar, Mythos?

Edited by Impeached

• 1 month later...

Just wondering, are advanced physics (ragdolls, etc.) possible on your engine? And, if so, are you considering implementing that sort of thing? (It would probably eat up slower systems, but, provided it was only implemented as eye candy, and didn't really affect gameplay, it could probably be turned off).

@Fred

If you can find a way of giving us $250,000+ to license a physics engine we would love to impliment it into the game.

Otherwise, if we were to go ahead and code our own physics engine, look forward to 0 A.D. hitting the net in 2015 :)

Unfortunately things get very complex if we want to have cutting edge features like this.

:) Nicely put. There are some free physics engines, but I don't know how easy they would be to implement. Here's the links:

http://www.newtondynamics.com/

http://www.tokamakphysics.com/

I imagine there are others, those two of the most prolific though. If it would eat significantly into dev time, then I, for one, wouldn't say it's a priority.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I never really played AOM except for the demos. I do own all the other AOEs xD even AOE3. ANd i love AOE3. I like the gameplay and the gfx. But hey, to each his own.

As far as bloom and HDR. I like bloom, and turn it on in almost all my games. I like it, but thats me. As far as rag doll feature, it would be nice, but i understand if u cant get it. BUt i would like to be playing the game before 2015 xD

It's only available for "Windows & Linux (soon)", whereas we want Linux (now) and OS X too. It also looks like it can't be used as part of any open source software, since it has restrictions on redistribution that don't allow derived work. Even without monetary issues, commercial libraries are quite problematic for projects like ours. Open source libraries like ODE are much better from a licensing perspective, but I believe the main problem with implementing physics is the complexity and time that would be needed to integrate it with the game's art and engine. It's particularly a pain for modders - if you look at a building from AoE3, the artists have to create several models and animations to handle destruction for every individual building, and it becomes prohibitively difficult for anyone else to add their own new building model into the game.