Sacred Sacrifice Mechanics

Περσεφόνη

After playing several matches, I came to the conclusion that such a useful aspect in Age of Empires III as animal breeding in 0 A.D. I practically never use it. I just forget about it! In this regard, I would like to propose introducing a game mechanic for sacrificing animals (as well as other resources) in order to receive certain temporary game bonuses. I think that sacrificial altars could create an aura around themselves, giving an increase to some parameters of units. I would also like the animals, like in Age of Empires III, to be able to gain weight over time. How do you like this proposal?

Edited by Περσεφόνη
  • Like 1

On 18/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, Περσεφόνη said:

I would like to propose introducing a game mechanic for sacrificing animals (as well as other resources) in order to receive certain temporary game bonuses.

Historically very accurate, but how would you do this without adding to the burden of micro-management ?

Also, auras for the altars are not how sacrifices worked historically.

It would be more like a morale boost (but again, we'd need to have morale for it to work).

I think a morale level of the colonny woul be great!   That would tie with the "improving house" of the other thread, having more priest, getting a more aligned and protected city (don't spread out the buildings) etc.    And then depending on morale, small bonus could be applied flatly to all unit, like a few % for everything from gathering to damage.

On 22/10/2023 at 5:01 PM, LienRag said:

Historically very accurate, but how would you do this without adding to the burden of micro-management ?

It would be more like a morale boost (but again, we'd need to have morale for it to work).

in my long term plans for my mod I want to add a component that takes care of all social related stuff. starts from family and tribes/races and introduces religions to form basics for loyalty and bonuses ...etc

6 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

It's an interesting idea, but don't you think sacrificing is a bit... gross? Yes, they did it, but not all civilizations did. I don't think India in the period would.

This did not stop Todd Howard from creating the TES series and even add slavery. As for India, I have already proposed the sacrifice of plant and precious resources. I think that the developers could draw a brooding carcass lying on the altar for meat victims, and for others use the textures of a tray or large dish filled with fruits, berries and coins or gold. In the end, the function of the altar does not have to be implemented in all nations in the form of a separate altar building, but rather combined with the building of the temples themselves. As far as I know, our gaming India was Buddhist then. Does Buddhism prohibit sacrifice?

Edited by Περσεφόνη

On 22/10/2023 at 7:01 PM, LienRag said:

Do you remember how the depleted farm made a sound in Age of Empires 2? I think that the altar could also "digest" the victim for several minutes and at the end of the process make some kind of reminiscent sound. I think that it would even be possible to create job vacancies, but instead of workers, priests would work on the altar, who are not particularly in demand now. Additionally, the altar could accommodate multiple animals or fruit trays, five at a time, and consume one animal or tray automatically.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 7:01 PM, LienRag said:

I mean the appearance of a small radius, similar to the healing radius of temples. Although you can just make a nationwide buff. It would also be possible to add the ability to make sacrifices on an ally's altar, which would either stack the buffs, or replace one buff with another, or only give half the power.

Since I'm not a developer, I have no idea if the game engine will support the altar system. It would just be great if AI were taught to use it: AI builds a temple, then an altar, hires a certain number of priests, hires several animals. Priests and animals are sent to the altar and hired as the altar becomes empty.

The Persians, for example, have a sacred fire, which means that the Persian priests or just one priest could stand at the altar and slowly consume the wood. But as for food sacrifices, it is the very process of extracting a sacrifice from an animal that should encourage the player to hire the animal. Of course, you can make a button with an icon of a roasted carcass on a tray of fruits and gold and periodically “buy” a blessing at the altar, but it will look boring.

Such formalities are for the boring people...

Edited by Περσεφόνη

• 3 months later...