How do you deal with Sparta?

SuddenlyZach

What's the common consensus here? Kill them early? Are there other answers than this?

I just got back into this game and was cruising along till a friend found the Spartan Hoplites. I was Carthage, and nothing I had could put a dent in those guys. I'm pretty sure they slaughtered 700 pop worth of units and only lost 50. That just how it be?

Hoplites struggle if they fight a mix of pikemen and ranged units - if they need to defeat the pikemen first they will suffer a lot of damage.

Furthermore, Sparta has no champion cavalry so it will struggle against this type of unit, especially if its ranged.

Carthage could try to go for Elephants or infantry sword mercenaries, if they face only hoplites.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Hoplites struggle if they fight a mix of pikemen and ranged units - if they need to defeat the pikemen first they will suffer a lot of damage.

Furthermore, Sparta has no champion cavalry so it will struggle against this type of unit, especially if its ranged.

Carthage could try to go for Elephants or infantry sword mercenaries, if they face only hoplites.

Ty I'll have to try these ideas. I was wondering about elephants, that feels possible.

I felt that my archers did very little damage even with the 3 attack upgrades. Maybe I needed to focus fire better? There were so many Hoplites.

I didn't try mercs at all. Gotta remember that too.

20 minutes ago, alre said:

sparta vs arcer cav is super interesting, very asymmetric gameplay. If you play well arcer cav, you should win.

Hit and run tactics? I think with Carthage, all I have is javelin cav, but maybe that is good enough?

1 hour ago, SuddenlyZach said:

I felt that my archers did very little damage even with the 3 attack upgrades. Maybe I needed to focus fire better? There were so many Hoplites.

I didn't try mercs at all. Gotta remember that too.

Hit and run tactics? I think with Carthage, all I have is javelin cav, but maybe that is good enough?

archers are very bad unless you snipe. that means that you select all your archers, and while you are holding ctrl+alt, you furiously right-click on enemy ranged units (skirmishers). distribute in this way the fire among all enemy skirmishers.

If you snipe your archers will be considerably worthier.

javelin cav is good for early rushes and for late game switching. It's not a viable middle game strategy as archer cav.