Strange things going on with the Roman army camp

Vantha

The Roman army camp description says: "Train Advanced Melee Infantry", but in the army camp you can just train swordsmen and spearman units that are called and look the same as the ordinary units you can train in the barracks. However, when right clicking the icon to produce the units in the menu of the army camp, the soldiers are shown to have more health do more damage and have lower gather rates than the ones from the barracks - just like champions. And I have tested it: they are actually slower at collecting resources and probably have more health and do more damage too. But even though these units keep their different stats(when mixing them with other units, when garrisoning them), in some ways the game does not differentiate between those two types of swordsmen/spearmen. When selecting units of those two types they just get added and shown in the same "stack"(I don't know how it's called) in the UI area where selected units are shown. It seems like the army camp is supposed to train champions. There are unused game files for Roman spear/swordsmen champions in the code and it seems like they are supposed to be trained at the army camp. Because units trained there just behave like champions but are called and look exactly the same like "normal" units. Do you have any idea why that's the case?

5 hours ago, Vantha said:

I just thought the only way to get units of higher ranks is to have them fight.

Another way is to garrison them in their production building; when I'm building up my CS cav and don't have immediate use for them I always get some XP in them. (Plus you don't have idle units on the map.)