[IDEA] Through the ages mod

Xtreme

I was thinking what if we could keep advancing and maybe even go past the 21st century.
I know it'll be difficult and complicated but I was thinking something along the lines of empire earth.

There could be underground resources such as oil etc. when surface resources run out in the later ages.
A tree plantation to grow more trees?
Open cut mines?

What do you think?

Would it be hard to implement firearms?

This could be a long term goal of 0 ad?

Edited by Xtreme
Add more ideas

• 1 month later...

Not complicated. Just a lot of work. What is complicated are the underlying hard working algorithms (performance) - nothing to worry about on the first hand in a 0 B.C.E.(mpire Earth or Universe ;) mod).  Also complicated is the overall design as in real life, "the concept" - e.g. what is needed, where to start [I am for stone age here until open end (future)], ...

0 B.C.E. employs the principles of time continuation and guided history (weak or strong needs to be determined, I personally favor weak, i.e. do not force historical events if out of context e.g. if Philip or his wife has been killed before giving birth to Alexander then no Makedonian Leader Alexander The Great).

On 04/07/2017 at 3:01 AM, Xtreme said:

There could be underground resources such as oil etc. when surface resources run out in the later ages.
A tree plantation to grow more trees?
Open cut mines?

Isn't open cut mining what the stone piles in 0 A.D. actually symbolize?

Would it be hard to implement firearms?

Coding snow is harder. And we need snow, rain, mud, ... (don't worry, I'm at it)

This could be a long term goal of 0 ad?

IMO: No. Really. I was thinking the same back then when I was active. 0 A.D. is about pitched battle warfare - it's interesting, because high tech civilizations are pitched against each other. What counterdicts this design|concept is the evermore balance effort - which makes things boring (IMO! opinions differ!).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I like RTS games like  0AD to go further as what the poster said though I mostly like my game to be up to before any gunpowder era. The reason is that once ages or phase advances the game becomes messy. IMO the game becomes messy as the controllability of the game mechanics become harder. 

I noticed that the lack of caps on things like economic and military are major causes of uncontrollable gameplay. These kind of things are what most players don't like, restrictions. They don't want to be bogged down in so many minutes or hours before actions come or victory is achieved. They want easy process to play the game.

For RTS games advancing in phase or age there should be more requirements in terms of economic, military, and technology.

2 hours ago, Servo said:

I like RTS games like  0AD to go further as what the poster said though I mostly like my game to be up to before any gunpowder era. The reason is that once ages or phase advances the game becomes messy. IMO the game becomes messy as the controllability of the game mechanics become harder. 

I noticed that the lack of caps on things like economic and military are major causes of uncontrollable gameplay. These kind of things are what most players don't like, restrictions. They don't want to be bogged down in so many minutes or hours before actions come or victory is achieved. They want easy process to play the game.

For RTS games advancing in phase or age there should be more requirements in terms of economic, military, and technology.

This is a mod , if he want a gunpowder age, he can do it. If 

rise of nation does this wrong m that's no mean this mod have same mistakes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I respect and appreciate your both words.

True, it will be an experiment: freedom. I don't say it will work. But generally the idea follows an overall concept that I have for the real world, too. Free, open source distributed technology and open economy.

The simulation will be similar, because it is what the real world is like.

• Survive with what you have. (it's your choice. want to have the tree covered in many epic little lights, just do it. live your dream.)
  • You can exploit and overpower others. Or you can play the defender that often just feels lost and not knows how to make the world a better place.

There are few living beings that prefer feelings and avoiding material things. The real giants are those that have either really nothing or real power and yet do not abuse others  only due to egoism (like the 18 years old king back then that wanted to become famous, took command and attacked the Turk sultan and easily died, turning the tide of the battle after it was actually virtually won - with far reaching consequences that can still be felt today; see the everyday news haha).

As I am in the glass house, I can only reiterate that I am an open source guy top bottom. I may not have warm water, but I have not lost my heart and I rather die than doing harm to the still quite abundant goodhearted beings in this world. People call me a dreamer. And lack of progress is not to my advantage. But who wants advantage. I just want to tame that entropy to have a chance to get my dreams done. And my dream is a world of magic, harmony and colors.

TL;DR

Let's just all enjoy our lives peacefully, being busy with things that really matter: fulfilling dreams. Not just ours, rather those of others, make this world an epic place for those that we love. Because only what you give is what you really have.

So we now have a new website in the works ciry.at and yes, no ads. You can use noScript ... no javascript is used - no hidden money traps or something. Because I may talk a lot but I hold my promises or I die - whatever comes first.

Hey Lion, I already did. But I think I should terminate it. Even thinking of money makes me sick. And to take money from such noble beings like all the contributors and helpers (be it 0AD or other free tech)? No really what a @#$% guy I'd then be. Whatever you donate to me, I have to refund you to not die from morale defects. haha. Patreon would love it for sure as they'd maybe earn something. But this is wild guessing.

I have a european bank account hidden in a picture on http://ciry.at but till the open bookkeeping (Treasury) is not set up I shall be embarassed to accept any support.

You should not worry about me. It's my free decision to work at -2 deg Celsius during winter times. My priority list has fixing this temperature and water issue very low because it only affects me in my crazy under developed base in the wilderness (antithetics to high tech). I often ask me, what if I were the only loving being in the world? Oh what horror. What shudder!

I do only live for others. So what benefits others and even if only in the long run is higher on my list. I do not see the temperature issue rise on priority. It will always be preempted. ;-) Like Dumbledore I have my reasons to know why. haha

But I must say I am touched by your offer. The will matters. Very honorable. I will not take it, but that you even thought of it makes me live easier. I am always amazed when I am reminded that still many good souls are busy on this little blue planet next to nowhere in the universe. Just wow.

understand , but for example I can try go full Aristeia if don't starve for hungry or don't need pay internet, I'm living in a poor country, lives here is so hard, I live very well but I see people try get money in the streets, children asking for money...

is horrible. But I prefer live here than USA or try to invade another culture. 

Is  an example. People get problem, needs money to solved, need more money to make more money.

i hope one day all human can be  self-sufficient. I love design emblems logos, textures, even try some 3D, .I study because have a restless  mind. I'm maniática at working not only in my professional life, even work out in the gym, dealing with pain.

if I don't need Internet, a new pc, gas form my car, power to turn on computer, food, etc... I can get half of my life doing this.

so my tip is found people like you, only try to get togheter, try survive with low cost developenmt. Be friends and you can Rise an army, like the 3 guys that start this dream. The soldiers can take down but the war still, never stop fighting.

if you feel like are you lost your mind try compensate your work with some kind sport or outdoor things.

• Like 1

Wise words!

We can make this world an even more epic place. I am certain. I am a strange man because my princesses made me that way. They taught me what really matters. And I stand to what I am doing. That I am trying to make this world sustainable, repairable and epic (LotR & HP tech). We can live self-sustained. We are not in the middle ages. There is the internet. And there is free tech to replace the internet should the need arise.

The recipe is open, green tech. No more paying 1000$ for replacing an entire PCB (that costs much less in production!) like I encounter so often at work. Instead simply fix the error yourself following open online schematics. The worlddevelopment eco system (machines set et alia) is designed to be modular and yet green. And DIY.

Actually in the recent years we - the independent free tech guys and gals - have made so much progress. Every day I am amazed at how wonderful this world could be. The free world looks into a bright future. If only the right, good hearted beings would know about all this open tech and trust it. Knowledge is key.

Once worlddevelopment club manages to finish the robotic manipulator project, then we will be able to produce green food freely and fully automated. I hope the whole world will replicate it. I will throw all that I learned about software, hardware chaos over the years into these projects.

IMO complexity is just entropy. If one manages to get it in order, then it suddenly no longer seems as complex. This is why we often think "oh man, what did I do back then .. me noob!" Because we learn, get new knowledge about the how and suddenly it all looks so obvious. Because it organizes well in our brain (experience, know how).

So I do support the good. But I certainly do not feed the sharks of this world. Which is why I release openly but develop closed source. Not having versioning and changesets makes it much more difficult to do harm with the tech (code) I develop. I don't want to be responsible for providing an autonomous robotic manipulator that costs 1000$ to terrorists. I may not be smart enough to make us explore the universe, but I am not a fool either.

At a later point I will create a worlddevelopment tavern for LotR and HP enthusiasts - a safe haven for open tech contributors. Something like these roleplay gatherings but not so strictly planned. Free green food and drinks for those that contribute - authenticated using some virtual signature key system. It's time that evolution takes selflessness into account. It's time to give the good people an edge.

On 7/21/2017 at 5:50 PM, Servo said:

Sorry for not answering properly: You can simply stop playing when reaching gunpower era. ;-). As said one can also start in any point of time one wants to.