Discord server ?

Scramjet_

• 1 year later...

Just wanna add that having a Discord server for 0ad sounds like a fantastic way to enhance community interaction. It's true, Discord offers a more real-time and interactive platform compared to traditional forums. If you're interested in setting up a Discord server for 0ad, you might find valuable insights and guidance on flipd.gg. They have a forum section dedicated to Discord accounts and related discussions. You can check it out for tips on creating and managing a successful Discord server. Discord provides a fun and engaging space to chat, voice chat, and share content with fellow 0ad enthusiasts. It's a great way to foster a vibrant community and keep everyone connected.

Edited by NuraMustafa

2 hours ago, NuraMustafa said:

Just wanna add that having a Discord server for 0ad sounds like a fantastic way to enhance community interaction. It's true, Discord offers a more real-time and interactive platform compared to traditional forums.

There a few discord servers, but none of them is really active. You kind find their link in the linktree https://linktr.ee/wildfire_games

3 hours ago, NuraMustafa said:

Just wanna add that having a Discord server for 0ad sounds like a fantastic way to enhance community interaction. It's true, Discord offers a more real-time and interactive platform compared to traditional forums.

Just wanna add that having an official IRC channel for 0ad sounds like a fantastic way to enhance community interaction. It's true, IRC offers a more real-time and interactive platform compared to traditional forums.

Fixed it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend using Revolt as a superior platform to Discord. https://revolt.chat/ It is very similar to Discord in interface and usage. However, it has some advantages compared to the basic Discord.

The advantages of Revolt are:

• Easy registration
  • Open-source, free and has client on all platforms, alongside a web version as well.
  • Has all Discord Nitro features come by default for FREE!
    • Can send large files >8MB
    • Can customize profile and banner as you wish, without any limits
    • Can use more image formats for avatar, including .gif
  • Less vulnerable to raids and other security exploits. Privacy leak is unlikely.
  • The user base is more civilized in general; no illegal activities or sketchy servers.
  • Less hardware demanding

On 22/05/2023 at 3:10 PM, Norse_Harold said:

Just wanna add that having an official IRC channel for 0ad sounds like a fantastic way to enhance community interaction. It's true, IRC offers a more real-time and interactive platform compared to traditional forums.

Unfortunately, your IRC has some major disadvantages compared to Revolt:

• Cannot send attached files / images.
  • Cannot voice call, video call nor share screen.
  • Cannot easily create private rooms
  • Tor is banned (one of my favorite browsers :cry: ) and the domain of users is displayed in the chat. I consider this a potential privacy leak.
  • Very barebone (ugly) interface and more difficult to install clients for it.

With that being said, IRC has some advantages over Discord-like apps:

• Can enter chats with just a nickname, without email - completely anonymous.
  • Very fast response due to simpler protocol and less data being transferred.

In conclusion, I would strongly recommend using Revolt as opposed to Discord since we are all lovers of FOSS and privacy. Revolt offers us exactly that, on top of having Nitro features. If you wish to talk to me on Revolt and need my username, please send me a Personal Message.

• Thanks 1

0 A.D. has a semi official revolt server (you can find the link here: https://linktr.ee/wildfire_games) however since it started over a year ago it did not gain any traction.

9 hours ago, NitroVicky said:

Less hardware demanding

Source for that?

Cannot send attached files / images.

Can but it's harder, though you can just use imgur or something

Cannot easily create private rooms

Right click send private message ? /join private-room ?

Tor is banned (one of my favorite browsers :cry: ) and the domain of users is displayed in the chat. I consider this a potential privacy leak.

Can't you use webchat.quakenet.org?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I'm afraid I can't join the server via the link given. When I click on it, I am brought back to my Revolt homepage. Can you tell me the name / title of this server, so that I can discover it from the community searcher? 

13 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Source for that?

I checked the system usage monitor when using these apps, Revolt consumed less RAM and less CPU percentage than Discord. However, the difference is not very dramatic and it could have been due to more activity by Discord users. Logically, both programs are similar but Revolt has less advertising features so it's more efficient to use. Discord would have to waste effort in popping up advertisements to convince you to buy Nitro and tell you about updates etc, which also distracts you at the same time. 

I see that IRC can achieve the necessary features using some workarounds, but it's still a bit less convenient than Revolt in my opinion. However, it is definitely superior for totally anonymous chats :) 

7 minutes ago, NitroVicky said:

I'm afraid I can't join the server via the link given. When I click on it, I am brought back to my Revolt homepage. Can you tell me the name / title of this server, so that I can discover it from the community searcher? 

Weird, does this one work? https://rvlt.gg/nFDp5agg (maybe the link expire)

0 A.D. Empires Ascendant is the name.

• Thanks 1

@Stan` I couldn't join the server using the link from linktree because it's a channel ID and not an invite link. One can only join a Revolt server through an invite. I would appreciate it if you can update it to a valid invite link.

1 minute ago, Stan` said:

Weird, does this one work? https://rvlt.gg/nFDp5agg (maybe the link expire)

Thank you! This one worked.

1 minute ago, NitroVicky said:

@Stan` I couldn't join the server using the link from linktree because it's a channel ID and not an invite link. One can only join a Revolt server through an invite. I would appreciate it if you can update it to a valid invite link.

Should work now.

• Thanks 1