Yiuel

I just like to learn about everything (except Celebrities... so useless. But I'll like to learn about movies and roleplaying etc.)

Well, at least one other dosen't care for celebrities. :D(y)

Amen to that! ;)

Welcome Yiuel, I hope you have a good time here.

BTW - SoggyFrog uses "thee" alot as he likes old English a bit ;)

Bienvenue sur le forum! J'espère que tu resteras longtemps ! 

ça fait plaisir d'avoir un (/une?) autre francophone sur WFG

We could say I'm francophone. Most French-speakinglings understand what I say, but I must say that my French is Enlgish-biased. When I was younger, I was used to say "La rouge pomme", which is VERY bad French. In fact, I would be perfectly speaking English and not using French if I had lived a couple more years in Ontario, where I used to live when I was young. (And that's how I can speak English without having studied it before in class...) My French is now way better, but good French speaking people will recognize my French as somewhat Frenglish (y)

At least, I don't need a dictionnary when I'm writing. Sometimes, I should use it (to make sure I'm not using a Frenglish word), but I'm just to lazy to reach it (even if I always keep it next to me ;)).

P.S. : I really did not study English (and I think I don't want to, prefering Japanese, Esperanto and Quenya way before, and having Inuktitut in my mind). I am among the lucky who have it in their soul...

(beer.gif

Don't worry, I am sure you speak way better than a lot of natural-born French-speaking people here in France ;)

Well ;) Some ppl (at least some French ppl) would disagree with that. I didn't go to France personnaly but I've know a few francophones from Quebec who went there and all of the French they spoke to had difficulties understanding them :D I guess we have a unique accent here in Quebec (y) and Yiuel has an even more interesting accent than I since he has some sort of English mixed with it.

Don't worry, I am sure you speak way better than a lot of natural-born French-speaking people here in France

If you're speaking of Verlan, I indeed do not speak that odd French-like language. To strange to my ears (y)

As for the differences between Quebec's French and France's French, their are mostly regarding phonetics. But we also continued on the developpement of the language know as French. Actually, Chuis is just a normal contraction of Je suis. Some people don't even say the last i (but I do, being of an old school). So every Quebecois actually knows two languages : French and Joual.

Even the normal French we speak differently. We distinguish more sounds. At least five nasals where msot French people distinguish up to 3. I also noted that we have diphtongs in Quebec (more in Montreal than in Quebec City), which in normative French isn't possible. We distinguish between more voyels :

Jeu J'eus Je aren't pronouced alike, the last being slightly longer.

tas t'as as well.

(Moreover, it seems that because of my English background, I distinguish more sounds that most people... I have clear voyels (as in French) but they are sometimes too clear (because I can distinguish a lot of differences))

(beer.gif

Jeu J'eus Je aren't pronouced alike, the last being slightly longer.

tas t'as as well.

Sorry to contradict you here, but in France, Jeu, j'eus and je are not pronounced alike either. Same as tas and t'as ... totally different.

tas is more like taaa (or tar for our British friends) whereas t'as is pronounced ta as is ta ... ;)

I also noted that we have diphtongs in Quebec (more in Montreal than in Quebec City), which in normative French isn't possible.

Sorry again, but there are some diphtongs in France's French (y) Few, I admit, but there are (ail, feuille, mouiller, etc ...).

Actually, Chuis is just a normal contraction of Je suis.

I use chuis everyday ... I don't think I say je suis in normal speech. I try to speak slowly and correctly to my wife (who is not a natural-born French-speaking person), but otherwise, I contract a lot too ... like chais for je sais ...

Anyway, linguistic class over ... it is the holidays guys ... I don't want to hear about linguistics anymore ... My students have asked enough this year ;)

• 3 weeks later...

(beer.gif

I say chais pas instead of je ne sais pas

or ptêt for peut-être and so on ...

in the South where I live, we fully say chuis with the diphtong ui. However, in the North (near Lille and near Belgium) they say chu, quite similarly as in Quebec ...

These phonetics issues are so interesting ... nearly as interesting as British/American phonetics :P

I would pronounce actually ché pas (a more closed e than in chais), and I will pronouce "chui" not "chu". Bot I'm mostly divergent and speak a more archaïc French for I was born in Ontario, not in Quebec, and speak as someone of Québec, not Montréal (my mother also speaks that Québec-city dialect, but my sister and my father speak the Montreal one).

What is interesting about the differences between Québec and Montreal (Center and South Quebec), is that in Québec, they have a less diphtonized languaged than in Montreal (I speak about the strange Québec diphtongues, not the "ill" issue) and have a better "French", when we refer to the Academic language. And there are less anglicisms in Québec city. But my ex-girlfriend had the best speech of all. I can't describe it. It has that clearness the Academic language has, without leaving that cold-sounding of it... A mix between Québec and France. (although her parents are both Quebecers and lived in the most "joual" neighborhoods of Montreal)...