Like My New Clanpage?

I also want you to tell me what can be done better? What can add, what should I remove?!

Thanks guys...

Btw: Have to say that I have only made homepages/clanpages for about 1 year. 1. program i ever used was, believe it or not, Microsoft Publisher. Then i got Namo Web editor or someting, then i used Frontpage, but now i use Dreamveiwer MX!

Oh, almost forget the address: http://geocities.com/zezar_88

Nope DA is right:

- accessibility problems for users with images turned off, text browsers or blind people (although that's nothing you should worry about)

- not so structured and hard to navigate

- long load times: bad for the server and the good ol' 56k user (that's most important).

First of all, it's always great to see new people getting into webdesign. That's basicly how I started, so if you like doing it you'll improve a lot. :ph34r:

Now, there's a lot to improve, although nothing much you should worry about yet.

Graphics:

I asume you use MS Paint or something like that. You better get something like Adobe Photoshop (pretty expensive), Jasc Paint Shop Pro (cheap, but not as good, but that should be suffecient for you) or Gimp (free, bad interface, a bit hard to use for a beginner).

So instead of drawing your text type it. With photoshop for example you can accomplish stuff like this with text (made this just to test some effects, for my gf):

leentje.gif

html/css software

I also started out using WYSIWYG editers (what you see is what you get), Dreamweaver most of the time. Actually it's a bad habit using them, you should better try to code it yourself. Html isn't hard at all, you just have to start and continue so you get the hang of it.

Best thing you can do now is using the split view of dreamweaver so you can see both the code and the layout. Next step would be writing the html yourself while checking out how it looks in the split view. Once you're used to that switch over to code view only or switch over to a text only editor (notepad for example, very primitve but good enough for html).

layout design

It's important you have a clean and fast loading layout. Most important is the navigation. Make it so the navigation is displayed on every page and also that it doesn't use too much of the screen (a left navbar for example is good or some top links next to each other).

Also watch out with using colors. Imo dark colors aren't that good for a website, you better go with some neutral or light ones. Just pick a base color and go further on that. Choose one or two colors that fit with your base color. You can also use variations of the base color like in these forums for example (many blue-ish variations).

That's about it, but there's a lot to learn and you're never finished.

A good start is this site:

http://www.w3schools.com

check out the html and xhtml tutorials. After that do some css stuff. While you do that learn working with some graphics software like photoshop or paint shop pro. Once you can manage all the very well learn a web programming language like php or asp and some SQL (for communication with db systems).

That should take you about 2-3 years, but once you're that far you can design some pretty neat stuff.

That isn't all though. Next to know the technologies you also need to know when, why and how to use the properly. A good site for this information is:

http://www.sitepoint.com (some good articles on navigation and such)

Designing websites is an exciting job, and you learn a lot more than just designing a website. If you like doing it I really encourage you to go on. Never feel bad if something doesn't work as you want, just move on and try more. Eventually you'll get the hang of it. And remember, basicly it's all about experimenting, so many things will go wrong, but if you do your best you'll accomplish what you want. :woot: