0 A.D. Empires Extended

Zeta1127

8 hours ago, Zeta1127 said:

There was also a small issue with the Theban Fire Raiser, which I also fixed, so as near as I can tell, the mod is fully ported to Alpha 22. I am still interested in releasing 0 A.D. Empires Extended to the public, but it is a lot of work to manage a released mod, so I am still hesitant to do it.

Managing a released mod is not necessarily more work than managing a local mod. If your mod works without errors on A22, then releasing exactly those files should work for everyone else's A22. It's completely up to you, of course.

7 hours ago, SirPope said:

I don't think anyone is really expecting an upkept mod at the moment - A23 release is somewhat kinda right around the corner. Call it an alpha mod for an alpha game. If you don't update it we'll probably do it ourselves or assume your working on a 23 version.

Reveal hidden contents

If you want to test it more, put a few AI's against each other and watch them fight. If they don't train a unit (like Siege) or build a building: the <Classes> tag might not be there at all for it or be right. Make sure to check the parent as well. A 2v2 or 2v1, So they build a market and hopefully train traders.

7 hours ago, av93 said:

What make you think that? Only has been 3 months since last alpha release, now alphas are released by like 2 at year. Maybe the dev team has switched to short cycle developing, but didn't read nothing about it.

The next alpha is always around the corner, because work on the next version starts as soon as a stable is released. However, that doesn't mean A23 is about to be released right now. No asset freeze has been announced as far as I know and a lot of work is ongoing. Personally I would be surprised if A23 would be finished and released earlier than January (it's pure speculation, of course).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

The next alpha is always around the corner, because work on the next version starts as soon as a stable is released.

I was going to use the term Octember but I doubt anyone would get that reference. Basically, A23 will break a lot of mods with the template changes that's going on and this is going to need maintaining then anyways. Get it stable enough to run on A22 and patch it if you feel like it. We don't know when the actual release date is and they still want more content before then. If it's usually 2 releases a year and it's been 3 months... 3-5 months? That's not a long time for a release of a game, even an alpha update. Plus, that's only 3-5 months that this mod would be run-able.

Edited by SirPope
Once it's running... it's running until then.

8 minutes ago, SirPope said:

I was going to use the term Octember but I doubt anyone would get that reference. Basically, A23 will break a lot of mods with the template changes that's going on and this is going to need maintaining then anyways. Get it stable enough to run on A22 and patch it if you feel like it. We don't know when the actual release date is and they still want more content before then. If it's usually 2 releases a year and it's been 3 months... 3-5 months? That's not a long time for a release of a game, even an alpha update. Plus, that's only 3-5 months that this mod would be run-able.

The life cycle of A21 was over eight months, so if that's anything to go by, don't expect A23 before April then. Furthermore, time between releases seems to be increasing, so it's perfectly possible A22 will last even longer. The point is, the release date is not fixed, therefore we'd better avoid speculating on it.

A22 has been released and therefore won't be changed any more. Adapting a mod to the development version is a lot of work, because A23 is constantly changing and anything can be altered at any time, potentially breaking mods overnight; nor do we know how A23 would ultimately look like. It's wiser to base a mod upon a stable release (e.g. A22) and only update it to the next version when it's released.

• Like 2

As I often ask I would suggest you to use a versioning system like git and a platform like GitHub. If you use the tool(GitHub) to its full potential you can define issues merge changes by other contributors upload release keep track of all changes go back to a previous version easily set up a Scrum like board for your future tasks... Etc

It takes a bit of time to set up but in time it's better. 

Also releases note would be nice. Your thread is only two pages for now but if it grows bigger people will lose track.

(Commit history on GitHub can play that role)

Happy modding !

• 2 years later...
56 minutes ago, Zeta1127 said:

I am finally back to working on Empires Extended. Apparently, I hadn't updated things since Alpha 22. I have fixed the various tower templates, but it appears to be complaining about unit props and stuff.

If you go to Github, then we can easily download your latest changes and troubleshoot for you. :)