I need testers for my master thesis project by Tuesday morning (31/05/16)

Jotunson

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post thins,

I've developed a modification to the Petrabot to test my masters thesis project, but I am in desperate need of some more people who can test it by tomorrow (Tuesday 31/05/16). I realize this might have been a bit rushed, but If anyone has the time to run through a few matches of the 0 A.D. today and answer a questionnaire I would really appreciate it.

Here's a link to download my modded version of 0 A.D and the Petrabot. as well as a questionnaire and a set of testing instructions. 

Sorry, this build is Windows only, I didn't have time to develop it cross platform.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvs289o0zbnfkq2/ZeroAD.zip?dl=0

One again, if you find the time to help me out, I would be extremely appreciative. Please send any questionnaires to 0adMasterThesisTesting@gmail.com. 

Edited by Jotunson

4 minutes ago, sanderd17 said:

Can you offer your changes as a diff?

I don't feel like downloading and compiling 0 A.D. again from scratch in one day, and I like to see what I get (instead of running code from a random person on a forum).

It's already a compiled binary, my internet is really bad so I had to ask a friend to upload it for me because my connection kept dropping. I totally understand your concerns very well, I will get you a diff asap.

Edited by Jotunson

26 minutes ago, sanderd17 said:

Doesn't help when using Linux ;)

Hehe, fair enough. I didn't quite have the time to make sure my master thesis library is cross-platform, so It won't work on Linux without at least a recompile and probably some re-coding. :S. Thanks for your interest (and your help on earlier posts), I really appreciate it.

Edited by Jotunson
  • Like 1

@sanderd17 Sorry it took a while, thank you very much for doing this. I'll understand if you don't do it, but if you do could you send me a copy of the linux build that I could send on to others? @niektb I also sent Sanderd a link to the repo of the library I wrote, it's needed to make it work, however I don't want it to spread too far (but i'll pm it to anyone who wants it).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ccyjl1chpe450v/0%20A.D.%20master%20thesis%20diff.rar?dl=0

Edited by Jotunson

I'm sorry, but that's not a diff, that's a list of changed files. A diff is something like this: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/attachment/ticket/3983/damageAndSeasonVariants.diff where you can see the differences and apply them with a single command.

When someone sends in contributions, we require it to be in a nicely readable diff format, so it looks like we're requiring more work from our volunteers than from someone who's asking us a favour.

Also, the link you PMed me doesn't work (I have no access), and in Linux, it's not a habit to spread binaries. They need to be compiled correctly against the libraries the distro provides (my binary build on Arch Linux won't work for someone with Ubuntu or Debian, and the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit also matters).

And technically, you could also be violating our license (GPLv2+) when you spread the game in binary form but don't want to give the source code to everyone. But I guess there are some exceptions on copyright for educational purposes, so it should probably be fine from a legal PoV.

And even if I get the library, I don't feel like debugging a piece of code that's new to me. So after all, I guess I'll leave the testing for the Windows users. It would have been nice though if you told it in your first post that it's only for Windows. The majority of devs here uses Linux almost exclusively.

@sanderd17 Sorry I messed up. I was kinda in a stressy haze. Thanks for informing me about the possible legal implications, I didn't know and decided to send it like this to save space in sending it to people. I totally understand that you don't want to go through a bunch of code that you've never seen before. Thank you for all your help on my last posts and for making an effort here despite my fails, you have truly helped me huge amounts. 

Edited by Jotunson
  • Like 1

You should have included the questionnaire questions here (doing so below) and explained a bit of detail on what the mod does (at least the C++ bit) since that is the harder stuff to get access to for us OSX/Linux users.  On a  side note it would be nice to have a forum subtopic just for the AI bit (Petra) because I know of at least 2-3 other people tinkering w/ it and myself have been fascinated w/ the AI docs that came w/ Hannibal* and have been tinkering w/ it myself.  It's obvious we want to analyze game data, apply some machine learning back into the game (either as a hobby, intro to AI or just get bots to battle it out - this game being done in Javascript could garner alot more attention if the bot code were separated out, documented, forked, and played online somewhere.  It's obvious that StarCraft II BroodWar gets alot of attention but the C++ API is a bit hackish (no? I could be wrong), https://github.com/bwapi/bwapi

There are alot of topics on this discuss + a decent Coursera @ https://www.coursera.org/course/aiplan 

What I am really thinking is that there could be a way for you to record what you have + upload to YouTube so someone can study it, this is what I have plans for (running via pyrogenesis, speeded up, 2 AIs w/ different settings, and watch it unfold - and maybe learn).

* - https://github.com/agentx-cgn/Hannibal

Test Participant Name:

Date of Test:

Questionnaire Nr. 1

Name of Bot:

No

Question

Result

(Yes / No)

Comments

Did any of the bots in the previous group deviate from expectations you had on it's approach based on previously observed behavior?

Did any of the bots seem to change their strategy over time?

Did the various bots seem to act differently from one another in terms of play style?

Did any of the bots seem to prioritize attacking one of its enemies over the other, possible to an irrational degree?

Did any of the bots seem more aggressive than the others?

Did any of the bots seem overly defensive?

Did your team-mate communicate its intent well?

Did your team-mate seem more willing to help you fight enemies over time?

Did your team-mate seem more inclined to give you higher tributes over time?

Did your enemies seem to react to actions you made?

Did your team win the match?

Questionnaire Nr. 2

Name of Bot:

No

Question

Result

(Yes / No)

Comments

Did any of the bots in the previous group deviate from expectations you had on it's approach based on previously observed behavior?

Did any of the bots seem to change their strategy over time?

Did the various bots seem to act differently from one another in terms of play style?

Did any of the bots seem to prioritize attacking one of its enemies over the other, possible to an irrational degree?

Did any of the bots seem more aggressive than the others?

Did any of the bots seem overly defensive?

Did your team-mate communicate its intent well?

Did your team-mate seem more willing to help you fight enemies over time?

Did your team-mate seem more inclined to give you tributes over time?

Did your enemies seem to react to actions you made?

Did your team win the match?

Questionnaire nr. 3

No

Question

Result

(Yes / No)

Comments

Did think the inclusion of the emotions and personality was noticeable in how one of the bots played?

Which set of bots do you think was modded to include personality and emotions?  (name the bot in comments)

Which set of bots did you was the most difficult to face? (name the bot in comments)

Would you call yourself experienced in real-time strategy games?

Have you played 0 A.D. before?

What difficulty did you play your matches at? (name in comments)

Edited by jonbaer