Alpha Tournament

GoHsty

Uhm, even if this might be off-topic and sound a bit rude, but why are you not helping to develop the "real" game instead of doing some mods, when the game still is in alpha phase?

Yeah why not? The mods are for all who propose new civs. Or a gameplay .

In my case I can't do nothing to add in art material for now I contribute with some shields and symbols.

I'm not part of team to know what is next.

So I dedicated to mods because i promised to a Atemneses52 ( user)

So get to the topic again.:)

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

We try to contribute, but it's difficult as patches alone are not enough. It must be proper solutions and to create proper solutions you have to know each part of the engine by heart.

Each mod is a contribution as it fits the bigger picture. I.e. 0AD was once an Empire Earth mod project. Empire Earth has flow of time and much more.

It's obvious 0AD is striving for something similar out of its history.

Furthermore to get into the team is difficult. See stanislas who created plenty of models but never made it into the team ... and now he's fallen.

Also 0AD has a different setting: Iron Age + pitched battle.

There is a saying: If you reached all goals in your life, then you didn't put them high enough.

Thus I prefer putting the goals a bit higher ... (and 0AD is essentially not too far from being finished, so why no mods, I know people hate mods like they hate unofficial stuff, but well. I will get resistant to insults at some point I hope. :/ )

• Like 1

Uhm, even if this might be off-topic and sound a bit rude, but why are you not helping to develop the "real" game instead of doing some mods, when the game still is in alpha phase?

We need mods too. Thanks to the recent mods, we saw flaws in the modding design of 0 A.D.

I've done quite some commits splitting up huge files, and adding other ways to mod content (with less chance on conflicts). Without mods, it would be hard to notice our flaws.

• Like 1

Each mod is a contribution as it fits the bigger picture. I.e. 0AD was once an Empire Earth mod project. Empire Earth has flow of time and much more.

It's obvious 0AD is striving for something similar out of its history.

It was an Aok mod ;)

But we indeed try to contribute where possible.

• Like 1

We need mods too. Thanks to the recent mods, we saw flaws in the modding design of 0 A.D.

I've done quite some commits splitting up huge files, and adding other ways to mod content (with less chance on conflicts). Without mods, it would be hard to notice our flaws.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Sometimes it's hard to believe what you guys are doing. ;) it's amazing really

This may not really be the thread for it, but I think I may write up a huge post about 0 AD's actual game design, my thoughts on most aspects, the pros and the cons of the design itself. The best part about 0 AD is that everyone listens. There's actual discussion going on here, it's not one-sided where someone posts something and no one cares. On these boards, someone posts something and everyone actually thinks about what's been posted and responds accordingly. This is huge. Never seen it before in a game community. It's a huge asset that the people here are so open to suggestions but also criticism.

• Like 2