New to 0AD, First Map

lucho

Like the title says, I discovered 0AD last night. This is my first attempt at mapmaking. Took me a few hours to get the hang of Atlas; here's the results of my tinkering. Let me know what y'all think :thumbsup:

*Edit*

Oops, I forgot to explain it a bit. The idea: A three way battle. As happened so often in history, the Romans and Persians are having it out, and the Greeks are caught in the middle. Well, actually, the Greeks stand a chance to come out on top.

While the land may look sparse, there's actually more than enough resources for epic fights.

post-15702-0-94089100-1381089330_thumb.j

Edited by lucho
  • Like 2

Hi ! First of all, welcome to the forum and thanks for your interest in 0 A.D. :)

That map looks very nice. My main remark would be about the general texture : for now we see grass everywhere, but considering the palms and the realistic variations of any landscape, the map lacks some non-grass areas, like sand, gravel or rock surfaces.

Out of that, I must admit that for a new-comer on Atlas, you really did great at setting an interesting map... Congratulations.

I did put some non-grass areas, but looking at it now (and especially in the preview) I see that it's nowhere near enough. I forgot to include the mapfiles- I'm including them now. I used the tropical biome set, which alters the dirt under the grass- it's really only visible closeup. I'm still tweaking the map though. Live and learn...

The Greeks do get a lot of territory, but after three playtests, they need it. I was amazed at how fast the Persians produced an army. That little piece of land separating them and the Romans isn't narrow enough :fear:

firstbattle.pmp.zip