New player with a few comments/ideas

McAllisterw

Hi there... I'm new to the game (only downloaded it yesterday) and would like to contribute some thoughts.

First-off everyone seems to have their own ideas of what faction to introduce next so I would like to promote the Egyptians, not only are they cool, but their buildings would be fairly easy to model :P

Secondly, the only bug I've encountered so far (besides the known issues they make you aware of from the moment you install the game) is that playing in the Sahara Oases map, I encountered a gazelle grazing in the middle of a watering hole... whether this is an issue with just this map, or gazelles in general or all animals I don't know, I haven't played the game enough.

A few pointers though, things I think might improve the game:

• I found the method of rotating the camera by using SHIFT+MOUSEWHEEL a bit clunky
  • As far as I can tell there is no way to upgrade an existing wall... it would be good to be able to build, for example, a wall on top of an existing palisade, as opposed to building the wall around the palisade, or demolishing the palisade first.
  • The civic centre (as far as I can tell from the factions I've played as so far) looks the same at each level of settlement. It would be nice if upgrading the settlement also led to a change in appearance. I would suggest that the models currently being used would suit the town phase, and so each one would require a smaller version for villages and a larger version for cities.
  • The description for Celts initially talks about the 'Celtic Empire' and then says that 'strictly this wasn't an empire', well no it wasn't, would it not just be better if the description never used the word 'empire' in the first place?

I have a few skills I can contribute to the game myself (not many)... I have some 3D modelling skills, looking at the building models in use I'm sure I could create models given the textures that already exist and the fact I can adapt parts of existing models into new models. (Doubt I could do anything other than buildings though).

I have some historical knowledge, I'm not a historian but I have trained in cartography and if maps were required, for either historical info pages, or to show campaign progress when campaigns are implemented I could certainly produce these.

• Like 1

First-off everyone seems to have their own ideas of what faction to introduce next so I would like to promote the Egyptians, not only are they cool, but their buildings would be fairly easy to model :P

You might be interested in the discussions here: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showforum=18 or if you're interested in Ptolemaic Egyptians, see below

Secondly, the only bug I've encountered so far (besides the known issues they make you aware of from the moment you install the game) is that playing in the Sahara Oases map, I encountered a gazelle grazing in the middle of a watering hole... whether this is an issue with just this map, or gazelles in general or all animals I don't know, I haven't played the game enough.

Yeah that's a known bug, the UnitAI isn't smart enough to handle that case and the fauna just walk randomly around the map.

A few pointers though, things I think might improve the game:

• I found the method of rotating the camera by using SHIFT+MOUSEWHEEL a bit clunky

As others said, there are other hotkeys for this, but you can also change the hotkeys to anything you want, see: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings

[*]As far as I can tell there is no way to upgrade an existing wall... it would be good to be able to build, for example, a wall on top of an existing palisade, as opposed to building the wall around the palisade, or demolishing the palisade first.

I don't think palisades are meant to be upgraded, since they are made of completely different materials than stone walls.

[*]The civic centre (as far as I can tell from the factions I've played as so far) looks the same at each level of settlement. It would be nice if upgrading the settlement also led to a change in appearance. I would suggest that the models currently being used would suit the town phase, and so each one would require a smaller version for villages and a larger version for cities.

This is something that gets suggested from time to time, but basically, we might consider it if we had the artists available with nothing higher priority to work on, but there's almost always something higher priority to work on... can't rule it out completely for the future though.

I have a few skills I can contribute to the game myself (not many)... I have some 3D modelling skills, looking at the building models in use I'm sure I could create models given the textures that already exist and the fact I can adapt parts of existing models into new models. (Doubt I could do anything other than buildings though).

I have some historical knowledge, I'm not a historian but I have trained in cartography and if maps were required, for either historical info pages, or to show campaign progress when campaigns are implemented I could certainly produce these.

Maybe you could contribute to the next civ which is being developed, the Ptolemaic Egyptians, see the Art Development forum. As far as I know, structures are still being worked out.

We could allow to upgrade palisades by simply having a button that removes the palisade and places stone walls in the exact same position. Would avoid having to destroy+replace.

Seems like a decent idea. How would it handle wallsets? Would it upgrade just the selected wall or all walls connected to the selected one? I lean toward the former, but that would look sort of weird if you just upgrade part of a wall.

We could allow to upgrade palisades by simply having a button that removes the palisade and places stone walls in the exact same position. Would avoid having to destroy+replace.

Seems like a decent idea. How would it handle wallsets? Would it upgrade just the selected wall or all walls connected to the selected one? I lean toward the former, but that would look sort of weird if you just upgrade part of a wall.

We would need to remake the palisades for all of this to work. :) A new palisade set for each culture, because not every culture's stone walls are the same lengths.
  • Like 1