Hello!

Greetings

I have rediscovered this RTS. A long time back I encountered this still in early development stages. Now I see it's a flourishing community.

With that said, I think I should say that I have rediscovered my dream RTS ;)

I like the philosophy adopted by the creators in sticking with historical accuracy.

A couple quotes from the game's old site:

• Units on structures and ships: Gone are the days of units disappearing into buildings and transport ships. Some garrisoned units will be visible on the battlements of structures or the decks of ships, and capable of firing on opponents at range.
  • Realistic naval warfare: No more tiny ships sinking other ships with arrows. Ship gameplay will include a variety of new features in RTS games, like much larger ship sizes, ship capture, sea rams, and a modular design that allows catapults to be stationed on the decks, and units to fire from the bows.

Haha, jeez. Is this about Age of Empires? :declare:

I agree 100% with the person that wrote that!

My time in playing Age of Empires series has been a time of great irritation concerning this. The units didn't even look anything like the units that existed in ancient times. Especially the Roman units in the first AoE series. Total let down.

I am a Roman enthusiast, and this is one thing that greatly annoyed me about nearly all RTS games is the lack and graphical distortions of Roman units.

Empire Earth in the Art of Conquest expansion was the closest thing I ever saw that resembled an actual legionaire. Although Empire Earth is nice, it seriously lacks accuracy and game play features. The Roman units in that game are only available in the scenario games, rather than actual random map games. Wtf to the creators? lolz

I liked their ability to have a pilum attack method. This is accurate and I find it gives the Roman unit in a RTS game that cutting edge to be a diverse sort of troop. If I am defending behind walls I can chuck pilum at the enemy and convert to sword should he penetrate the defences.

Mixed feelings towards the creators in this regard... Great unit and ability in a RTS, but you left them out the actual game play forcing someone that favours such a unit to create his or her own scenario doesn't really give you points there...

I don't mean to knock Aoe and EE, I enjoyed them alot. But there could be major improvements in those fields. Something they don't care about and care and artistic definition is not one of their strong points, something which I see different in this game. And being open source paves that way for further development and the frustrated and irritated individuals in the RTS spectrum can quench that irritation with the care and time provided by the creators of this game.

Other than that, It's nice to be here :yes3:

Edited by Burzum

Im Roman Empire enthusiastic too, Rome HBO presents greats Legionaries, and great Realism.

We are Interesting in know how you know about 0.A.D and what you are your hobbies and skills.

And in Second Part of 0.A.D : we can play with Imperial Romans.

I was Play all Romans involved RTS. and city Builders.

Well, it was some years ago I actually came accross 0.A.D. But at that time it was very early and fresh, I kept an eye out but over the years I somehow lost track.

This time however, I really reached my final blow. I had enough with Age of Empires II and it's lack of Roman content that I decided to look for other RTS games that included the Romans and stuff. I then saw a Total Conversion mod for AoE III -- The Ancient Age and on some of the posts there someone had mention 0.A.D. which brought me back here ;) AoE III sucks BTW.

Skill and hobbies right now I would say would be ancient history. I have done modding for AoE II in the past, but as far as that goes I never payed that much attention. I guess it's because like the creators of 0.A.D. I wanted something different. New engine, graphics, the whole remake virtually.

Welcome to the forums! I always have doubts for every game and TV Show about whether they present their material correctly. I hardly ever think artists ever depict the past correctly.

Well like TV shows and hollywood depictions the game market is definitely included.

I mean take a look at all the RTS games on the market, from AoE to EE etc I have not come accross a single one with proper Roman style infantry etc.

I think 0.A.D. is the first in the history that RTS has been a genre.

RTW you might say is there... But that is a turn based strategy than a actual AoE oriented one RTS. Both are fun to play but a true RTS such as this one offers more freedom.

Edited by Burzum

Greetings Burzum, and welcome (back?) to the forums :)

Units on structures and ships: Gone are the days of units disappearing into buildings and transport ships. Some garrisoned units will be visible on the battlements of structures or the decks of ships, and capable of firing on opponents at range.

It's not too likely this will make it into the first release as it's something that takes a fair amount of work, but would only really add a visual effect.

We hope we will be able to live up to your expectations, but kindly ask that you and all other fans and history enthusiasts remember that since this is a game that's meant to be fun to play we might sometimes have to choose between gameplay and historical accurateness. :)