[Documentation Manager] application - [Mackie.Jr]

Mackie.jR

Position: Documentation Manager / Programmer

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?

Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?

Yes

Name:

James Mackie.

Email:

jimmypopp@hotmail.com

MSN Messenger:

N/A

Australia

Availability:

6 - 12 hours a week

Student, Mainframe Storage Administrator

Skills and Experience:

3 Years of University at University of Ballarat, 2 years of Formal Industry Multimedia Training (TAFE) & 2 Years at one of the largest IT companies in the world

Motivation:

Currently required to partake in a university assignment to contribute to an Open Source project in addition I have a strong interest in gaming and game development.

Personality:

Jack of all trades, master of none

Short Essay:

I found out about the project due to a strong interest in RTS(real time strategy) and was trying to find a game to play with friends,

later I found the game was open source and that it would be an interesting project to undertake whilst at university.

Interests and Hobbies:

Huge gaming nerd, I play basketball on a casual basis and I program occasionally

Staff:

No

Community:

I keep in contact with the dota and dota2 communities.

Favorite Game:

dota2

Work Examples:

As above in skills and experience I have formal and informal training in multimedia, project management, programming etc..

Other:

I would like to note that I am able to create logos, web sites and code in the following languages: PHP,HTML,C,C++,C#,Python,Visual Basic and JAVA, I may be able to help with Faction logos as well as 2d art if needed and I am happy to have a look at the code to see if I can resolve issues, In addition I would like to mention I will be working in a team of 3.

Edited by Mackie.jR

Hello and thank you for your application. Since you mention a university class I would guess you have a set amount of hours that you are required to put in? For that reason I think it's probably best to pick one area rather than trying to do a bit here and a bit there, but of course it's up to you (for the rest of this post I'm assuming you'd choose programming, but the general idea of course applies to other parts of the game as well). And it's probably best in general to set a specific goal for what you wish to accomplish during this time. It could be something a bit more generic as "fixing small bugs/adding small features", but that's probably not the most interesting thing to do. It's probably better to focus on a specific project/part of the code, both since that allows you to get more into it, and it's probably more fun as well.

I'm sure the programmers can offer some useful suggestions, but to make it easier, could you please add some more information on what kind of coding you (and the other two people) have experience with, if you have a time limit for your contribution (even if you might contribute more in the end/after the time required by the university it's still useful to get an idea of it), and in that case what it is. Etc, the more information we have about you, the more likely that we can help you find a task where both you and the project benefits the most :)

Position: Programming / Design / Bug Fixing / Bug Investigation

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?

Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?

Yes

Name:

Kaidyn

Email:

kaidyn01@gmail.com

MSN Messenger:

N/A

Australia

Availability:

6 - 10 hours a week

Student, Mainframe Storage Administrator

Skills and Experience:

3 Years of University at University of Ballarat, 2 years of Formal Industry Multimedia Training (TAFE) & 2 Years at one of the largest IT companies in the world

Platforms:

Win 7 (Primary) / Linux

Languages:

Desktop:

C#, C++, Java

Web based:

PHP,XHTML,JavaScript,MySQL,XML, ActionScript

Motivation:

Currently required to partake in a university assignment to contribute to an Open Source project in addition I have a strong interest in gaming and game development.

Once I'm hooked on an idea, my desire for self-satisfaction takes over.

Personality:

"Ideas Man" - Good at coming up with ideas and perusing them.

'In order to think outside the square; you need to take a step out of the square... ' - Just came to me then...

Short Essay:

The author of this post suggested this project to me the other day.I liked the idea of contributing to a game, one of my many childhood ambitions was to become a games developer.

As large consumer of OpenSource - I Feel that to give my appreciation I must pass on the favour.

Interests and Hobbies:

Gym, Walking the Dog, General computer usage

Staff:

No

Community:

None

Favorite Game:

Hardware: Online Arena (PS2 title to introduce the idea of "Online Gaming")

Work Examples:

Designed and developed websites as a hobby.

General spur of the moment ideas that I've created something to solve a problem.

Other:

One of the first things I would like to do is add a 'random ' map button/selection to the Single Player GUI interface - Reading a suggestion on the forums I've also noticed the request for a 'Difficulty' Selection - Perhaps while I'm at it I could create the place holder for this selection ?

One of the first things I would like to do is add a 'random ' map button/selection to the Single Player GUI interface -

Not sure what you mean here? You can already select random maps (see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_SettingUpAGame#a1.ChangeMatchType if you aren't aware of it already), so there's no reason to add that functionality. Are you suggesting you'd add a way to "select randomly from one of the available maps"? (I think Spahbod is already working on something like that, or at least have thought about it, so if that is the case please talk with him first so there is no duplicate effort. See http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16242 )

Reading a suggestion on the forums I've also noticed the request for a 'Difficulty' Selection - Perhaps while I'm at it I could create the place holder for this selection ?

It's probably wiser to implement something that actually "is connected to something", perhaps something like http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/942 ? The issue with that particular one is that it requires you to work with wxWidgets, so unless you have previous knowledge of that it might not be the best thing to start with. I'll try to have the programmer's pitch in and we'll see if they have better ideas :)

Hi guys, Kaidyn was referring to a button that randomly selects a map from the available maps I believe.

Any ideas on a project that my group can start on to get the ball rolling?

These are some of the most important but they are also heavy: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatus

For lighter stuff, explore Trac: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/report

Regarding your applications as programmers I can't do much but point at those:

I'd also suggest taking a look at the links zoot posted, and if you've got any further questions or you would like to ask someone join #0ad-dev on QuakeNet.