error in the construction of wood walls

gnun

I have encountered a similar issue, though in my case at least, it seems to have nothing to do with the terrain, but rather that a unit got stuck within the foundation (the piece of wall under construction).

(I would have attached a savegame of the situation, but "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".)

(or zip them, although for saved games here's a fun fact: a .0adsave is already a zip archive, rename it and see for yourself ;)) Anyway in the video it appears that a unit is trapped in the foundation, though it's difficult to tell since the camera isn't rotated around, the problem should go away if that unit is allowed to escape.

I have noticed this as well, usually with quite a few units tasked to build. A simple fix in game is that you set those units to move away, and then task one unit to build. After this, it should work, perhaps because no units are now blocking the foundation as suggested by historic_bruno.

This should be fixed in SVN.

Hmm I'm not sure about that, if one or more units are blocked in, they can't be forced to leave the foundation (the pathfinding will fail). This is one of those situations where it would be nice to bump other units out of the way, though it wouldn't help in situations where the foundation and unit were surrounded by other structures. Probably the best solution for now is to not show the building animation and construction dust, as that only confuses the player, if all the units were to stand around idling, it would be obvious that the foundation was blocked and couldn't proceed. If that wasn't obvious enough, we could display a message to the player.

Hmm I'm not sure about that, if one or more units are blocked in, they can't be forced to leave the foundation (the pathfinding will fail). This is one of those situations where it would be nice to bump other units out of the way, though it wouldn't help in situations where the foundation and unit were surrounded by other structures. Probably the best solution for now is to not show the building animation and construction dust, as that only confuses the player, if all the units were to stand around idling, it would be obvious that the foundation was blocked and couldn't proceed. If that wasn't obvious enough, we could display a message to the player.

It's decidedly much easier for that to happen with wood walls because of their tiny obstructions.

Infantry obstructions are 1.6m square, palisade towers are 4m square. Seems like you'd be able to get 16 builders around a tower. The palisade wall segments are only 2m thick, but builders can only reach 2m from their midpoint. Which is to say, they can reach 2m - 0.8m = 1.2m from the edge of their own obstructions, best-case. Because of the shortness of all the palisade wall segments, the towers often cover up quite a bit of them.

So, you might have a 14m palisade wall segment, but worst-case up to 8m of that can be made unbuildable, so builders would be trying to cram themselves into a 6m strip on each side. When rebuilding a destroyed long segment you could get stuck indefinitely with as few as 6 builders.

Perhaps it'd be good to bump up their obstruction depth to 3m so that builders can (almost) always build them, even in areas where they're overlapping a wall tower.

It's decidedly much easier for that to happen with wood walls because of their tiny obstructions.

Infantry obstructions are 1.6m square, palisade towers are 4m square. Seems like you'd be able to get 16 builders around a tower. The palisade wall segments are only 2m thick, but builders can only reach 2m from their midpoint. Which is to say, they can reach 2m - 0.8m = 1.2m from the edge of their own obstructions, best-case. Because of the shortness of all the palisade wall segments, the towers often cover up quite a bit of them.

So, you might have a 14m palisade wall segment, but worst-case up to 8m of that can be made unbuildable, so builders would be trying to cram themselves into a 6m strip on each side. When rebuilding a destroyed long segment you could get stuck indefinitely with as few as 6 builders.

Perhaps it'd be good to bump up their obstruction depth to 3m so that builders can (almost) always build them, even in areas where they're overlapping a wall tower.

Wouldn't it be more worthwhile to e.g. get the builders to spread out along the entire length of the walls being constructed? Instead of all of them trying to work on one piece at a time, there's always going to be situations where that will be an issue (depending on how we do other things, but I doubt we can get away all cases of other things getting in the way), so I'd say it's not worth spending too much time on fixing the worst case rather minimizing the risk for it happening at all. (Or at least try and minimize the risk first, then make sure it's less of an issue if it happens, imho.)