Garrison units: inconsistent control

fireprog

I noticed when you click the "garrison" button (on selected unit(s)), you then have to select the building with your left mousebutton to get your units in there.

Yet when you use the shortkey ctrl to garrison units, you have to select the building with your right mousebutton to get them in the building.

Personally I think it would more clear when its the right mousebutton in both cases, since you move units with your right mousebutton anyway... Or might there be a reason for this?

I think it's more due to convention than anything else =) Other games (at least AoE if I remember correctly) does it this way, right click for actions which are done either directly or with the help of a shortcut key, and left click for left click initiated button actions. I'm fine with it either way personally, especially since I don't use the button :P But perhaps someone else has stronger feelings about it/better reasons for doing it this way :) (Had only people read manuals we could get rid of the button entirely and only use the shortcut key to save space in the GUI =) But ah well, that's not how things are so it's better to have a button easily accessible so people can discover it by trying things out :) )

I think it's more due to convention than anything else =) Other games (at least AoE if I remember correctly) does it this way, right click for actions which are done either directly or with the help of a shortcut key, and left click for left click initiated button actions. I'm fine with it either way personally, especially since I don't use the button :P But perhaps someone else has stronger feelings about it/better reasons for doing it this way :) (Had only people read manuals we could get rid of the button entirely and only use the shortcut key to save space in the GUI =) But ah well, that's not how things are so it's better to have a button easily accessible so people can discover it by trying things out :) )

Well if the shortcut key was written next to the name when you hover over a button, people wouldn't have to read the manual to be able to use the shortcut key's :)

Like: Garrison (ctrl + right click) or Garrison (ctrl)

And I do think its right for it to be right click for actions which are done either directly or with the help of a shortcut key, and left click for left click initiated button actions. its just that with the garrison action it gets a little confusing when you use both the shortcut key and the button.

I've always thought that it was "right-click = unit-action" and "left-click = selection/GUI interaction". Following that convention, the OP's proposition makes a lot of sense.

I also think that it's a more logical convention than "right-click = actions which are done either directly/with the help of a shortcut key" and "left click = left click initiated button actions".

Well, perhaps not more logical, but I find it simpler.

Edited by wraitii

Well if the shortcut key was written next to the name when you hover over a button, people wouldn't have to read the manual to be able to use the shortcut key's :)

Like: Garrison (ctrl + right click) or Garrison (ctrl)

And I do think its right for it to be right click for actions which are done either directly or with the help of a shortcut key, and left click for left click initiated button actions. its just that with the garrison action it gets a little confusing when you use both the shortcut key and the button.

I totally agree. When you press the garrison button you have a "non default cursor". In this case right click should always be "cancel" meaning returning to the default cursor behavior. So that's the convention ^^