Takeover buildings?

First off, welcome to WFG!

To answer your question, yes! In fact, it will be to your advantage as a player to reclaim enemy buildings rather than waste time destroying them, as you'll increase your functional capital. You'll only run the potential risk of returning the building to your enemy, to which the remedy is simply an ample defense. Capturing a building will probably take some time, so it'll almost be like a mini King of the Hill game each time you attempt to claim one.

Unfortunately, the trigger system in Atlas is currently nowhere near the level necessary to develop a King of the Hill map. Although it will be in future developments, it'll be some time before they'll be implemented to the level you'll likely need for this.

In the mean time, I would recommend coming up with some ideas for mini-games within the King of the Hill match to contribute to gameplay. While simply fighting for a single building will inevitably tire, being prompted to gather treasure or destroy a specific building in your enemy's territory for a resource or unit bonus while simultaneously defending your position will prove to have a considerably higher amount of replay value.

Unless you have an alternate vision for how you would want it to work, I would imagine that each player is given a base with a civic center, barracks, stables and a fortress. Medium-high starting resource count and a few infantry units to start out to get the game going as quickly as possible. For this game, it might even be fun if build times were sped up a bit for faster gameplay (the start of a traditional match would probably be a bit too slow for this). Players should be able to construct towers and walls, but not within their own territory (only to defend the hill, if this will even be possible within the confines of our trigger system - I can't really guarantee anything, as I'm not responsible for any of the code :P). They will be able to construct additional barracks, but the original buildings will respawn if destroyed after an acceptably punishing amount of time if the player decides to lend his focus elsewhere. The catch is, you can continue to defend the hill by training more units, but you must also be prepared for an attack on your territory, allowing the enemy to cut you off at your supply line. Given this potential susceptibility, it may even benefit more experienced players to not claim the building immediately, but rather prepare for an overwhelming raid of the hill after having gathered appropriate resources and trained a respectable army to both defend their home and claim the hill.

You could also potentially include achievements, such as holding the hill for a given amount of time, defeating a certain number of enemy units, or defending your position solely with a certain unit class for 20 seconds or so (for example, no super units or only infantry swordsmen). Completion of achievements gives the player additional bonuses, thus providing incentive to work toward them (you could perhaps even implement god power-like rewards for the more difficult accomplishments, such as an automatic ring-wall around the hill, or automatically eliminating all current enemy units allowing you to re-cooperate or construct defenses).

Just a few ideas. Should be fun to see what you and the rest of the community can come up with. :)

OK I understand, I cant coding and stuff so my only hope for a "King of the hill" is to get in on the coders prioty list if I understod you rite. But I wonder if I make a map thats become good both the look and the stratigic things are it possible to get it up on the game or are you guys not interessted about that thing?

//Kalle

Sorry my english :)

OK I understand, I cant coding and stuff so my only hope for a "King of the hill" is to get in on the coders prioty list if I understod you rite. But I wonder if I make a map thats become good both the look and the stratigic things are it possible to get it up on the game or are you guys not interessted about that thing?

//Kalle

Sorry my english :P

Your English is fine. :)

It would definitely be feasible to include a well-balanced and polished map with the game. As for coding, you will eventually be able to do most of the things I talked about with our trigger system. These will be written in XML, and as such should be relatively easy to understand, modify and develop. If you're not familiar with it, it'll be very similar to the system found in games like Age of Mythology and Age of Empires.

Triggers are basically if/then statements, such as this example of some sort of healing area:

IF unit is [certain distance] from [certain point]

THEN increase unit HPs by [certain value]

Obviously, the IF and THEN variables can be modified to achieve the desired effects. You'll also be able to set triggers to occur once, or to occur perpetually. For example, in a campaign, you may only want the player to experience a specific event or conversation once, else it wouldn't make much sense. Conversely, you'd want the healing area to perpetually heal all units within a certain aura.