Releasing the celts as civ?

plumo

By the way, I'm also have question about civilizations: currently in Atlas there is possibility only for creating units/building of specified civilization (Hellenes or Celts). So there is impossible to select civilization in game setup dialog. The question is: is this intended design (specified civilization in specified starting location on each map), or this is just not yet implemented to create units/buildings of 'random' civilization?

While Celts may not be as refined as the Hellenes in all ways they are as "released" as them, it's just that they're not included in the official maps in this release. As mentioned it's just to create a map in Atlas if you want to play with them now though ;) If they can't gather resources that's a bug which should be fixed as soon as possible, so please post a ticket on Trac so it can be fixed.

The question is: is this intended design (specified civilization in specified starting location on each map), or this is just not yet implemented to create units/buildings of 'random' civilization?
It's just not implemented yet, it should be implemented at the same time as random maps are reimplemented. I'm not sure we'll make it possible to select any/random civs in pre-created maps though, in most cases one will probably want people to play as the civ one has placed on the map, but if it's not too difficult to implement it could be an option.

You will be able to select your civ in random maps. Most of the standard features you would expect in an Age of Empires style game will be present. They just have to be implemented. Being able to choose the civ is more than just a box in the GUI; there's a lot behind it that isn't ready yet.

About the Celts only being able to gather food - That's just the animations, they can already gather any resource. It is not hard to fix, just time-consuming. The Celt actor files are located in 0ad\binaries\data\mods\public\art\actors\units\celts.

Animations section - change wood, stone, and metal to:

<animation file="infantry/general/chop.psa" name="gather_tree" speed="100"/>

<animation file="infantry/general/mine.psa" name="gather_rock" speed="150"/>

<animation file="infantry/general/mine.psa" name="gather_ore" speed="150"/>

Variants section - change wood, stone, and metal to:

<variant name="gather_tree">

<variant name="gather_rock">

<variant name="gather_ore">

The resource code was tweaked so that the resources were changed from generic "wood, stone, and metal" to tree, rock, and ore (I don't know why--I thought we had decided to stop calling it "ore" and opted for "Metal" since it was more specific and looked better [100F, 100M; as opposed to 100F, 100O]).

Edited by Mythos_Ruler

The resources are still food/wood/stone/metal as far as the player is concerned - the implementation was just changed to have sub-types for them all. You can get food from wildlife and fish and farms, you can get metal from ore and from treasure chests or whatever, etc. Animations are now identified with those sub-types (since they might be different for each), not with the generic types.