Singing on boats?

DerWer

HI all, something came to mind so I thought I would post it.

I have heard that rowers on ships would sing in order to keep a steady pace. I am curious to know if this is really the case and if this is within the time period that 0ad is focusing on.

Implementing something like this could increase the immersion in the game and also make the player more aware of the existence of the rowers. (if this is historically accurate)

Anyway something to think about. :)

Edited by DerWer

perhaps that could be implemented as an aknowledgement sound? like when you tell a ship to go somewhere, it responds with a typical rowing song in that native language.

Just adding my two cents: Would have to be a short loop wouldn't it? Like... under a second? Like just saying "HEAVE!" or something. And if we do something like that it should have an option to mute the sound on move orders. Some people click the move option 50 billion times in a minute. The loop could get annoying (and if it's long could get cut off).

well i know that theres programming in other games where a sound will stop once the object is off-screen. alternatively, the song could just go for, say, five seconds, and then fade out, or automatically stop when you tell them to do something else

Maybe you could only hear them when your zoomed in close to the ship? The farther away you are the softer the sound would be.

Some people click the move option 50 billion times in a minute. The loop could get annoying (and if it's long could get cut off).

What would help that is if the song didn't start over every time they click to a new location as long as they are still moving.

Edited by DerWer

Maybe you could only hear them when your zoomed in close to the ship? The farther away you are the softer the sound would be.
What would help that is if the song didn't start over every time they click to a new location as long as they are still moving.

I agree with you on both fronts. Now, who's singing for us?

Would be brilliant to hear african chants and rhytms for african mercenaries / slaves on board of Carthaginian vessels. For the Persian navy you also can use greek as many coastal cities in lycia, pamplonia, cilicia, ... who contributed ships to the Persian war effort used greek.

For the Persian navy you also can use greek as many coastal cities in lycia, pamplonia, cilicia, ... who contributed ships to the Persian war effort used greek.

Yeah, but that would cause some monotony to the game wouldn't it? The greatest source for the Persian navy was the Phoenician city of Tyre (and also Sidon). So some Persian/Phoenici chants would be adding much more flavour.