0 a.d. on android

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum but I play 0ad from several time.
I tried to run 0ad on android and it works with Winlator (https://winlator.com/), but FPS are between 7 and 35, it's playable well, but not perfect. Winlator is a new software, that emulate Windows on Android, and has known compatibility bugs, so containers don't run with some devices, such as my j4primelte (CPU Snapdragon 425, GPU Adreno 308, RAM 2 GB).

My current device hardware infos are: CPU MediaTek Dimensity 1080 arm64, GPU Mali-G68 MC4, RAM 6 GB.

To install Winlator follow the guide on official site, then create a container and there are my container's settings: Screen size 1920x1080, graphic driver: VirGL (raccomanded) or Turnip + Zink, video memory size: max (4096 for me), processor affinity: select all. If mouse indicator doesn't work well change Mouse Warp Override.

In Winlator run the container, it will open a Computer window with three drive, D: is download directory of your phone, and install 0ad from the .exe file. When install finish, start the game from desktop link (slower) or Start>Programs>0 A.D. alpha>0 A.D. and it will open a Program Error, at bottom click on continue. Error messages are four, but you can ignore all and continue to the game. When it starts, you have to set all graphical options to min and activate Vsync, and set UI to 125%. If game doesn't start due to missing windows libraries, you can install them from Start>System Tools>Wine Configuration>Libraries.

To grow font size Start>System Tools>Wine Configuration>Graphics and set Screen resolution to 192 dpi (optional).

Use android back key and it will compare a winlator window, where you can set Input controls, keyboard or see how touchpad works. DO IT BEFORE PLAYING, because the mouse arrow will not works and you have to reboot the container

I hope that this is useful, sorry for my bad english, Baelish.

• Like 1

Thats pretty fun stuff.

When you talk about FPS, what stage of the game are we talking about? The start of the game?

How fast does your battery deplete when not on cable? 

Obviously won't be able to play anything competitively and should probably stick to low pop games but it's cool that it works nontheless.

8 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

Eh. We had experimental support of Android builds long time ago. In theory it should be possible to make it working again, but we have no people for that.

Unfortunately I'm not an android app developer, but I'm interested to learn, so if I can be helpful doing something, count me in. Anyway I think that create a new app with a touch input is very difficult and it mean recreate all the game for ARM64 arch; so we can create a new windows version optimized for android emulator and play it with external mouse.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baelish said:

Unfortunately I'm not an android app developer, but I'm interested to learn, so if I can be helpful doing something, count me in.

You might take a look at old docs: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/AndroidPort and related files in the repo: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/build/android

6 minutes ago, Baelish said:

Anyway I think that create a new app with a touch input is very difficult and it mean recreate all the game for ARM64 arch;

We should have no problem with the arch itself since we build the game for macOS ARM64.

10 minutes ago, Baelish said:

so we can create a new windows version optimized for android emulator and play it with external mouse.

I think it might be possible (especially if it can be done in a fork to avoid support cost for us, at least for now).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

I have just tried to install 0 ad on another emulator because Winlator is famous for a good user interface but slower that other emulators. This time I used termux, termux-x11 and proot-distro (is not an emulator, but it does not matter).
I followed this simple guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXkXzFqSeYE

My GPU is MALI, so I have to use VirGL library, but it isn't supported by alpha 26, and I can't download the source code of alpha 27 beacuse it weight about 30 GB and it's difficult to build on a small screen. With MALI it will go wuth turnip, but it's slow. Can someone with a Snapdragon GPU follow this guide and say to me Mesa driver have good performance?

I had an issue with termux: https://www.reddit.com/r/termux/comments/w0ixkp/how_to_solve_process_completed_signal_9_press/

I resolved it following first comment, LADB is downloadable from github without paying on play store.

An other possibility is to use my device with a prebuilt version of alpha 27

Edited by Baelish