Rebuilding destroyed wall segments - Impossible?

krt0143

Let's say I've built a stretch of wall with several segments (wall stretches and their towers). Now the enemy attacked and destroyed some segments. Obviously after the attack is over, I'd like to rebuild the missing parts.

Literally more often than not, especially on difficult terrain (slope or near water), the game will refuse to do so (wall to rebuild shows red).
Why? I was able to build a wall there previously, why can't I (re)build it now?

And if I build a new piece of wall (starting from the other side), I can't reconnect it to the still existing parts, especially if there is no tower left at the end. It's usually easier to build a second wall right over the old wall (!) than try to rebuild its missing parts.

Bug, or did I miss some specific command?

The game's Wall Building Authority is very finicky BTW, sometimes you have to fish for the one and only pixel which allows you to get your permit... That's not right IMHO, walls have been successfully built on almost impossible terrains (think Great Wall of China or the Wall of Hadrian), normally you should be able to freely build a wall anywhere a human can walk, including in chest-deep water.  :shrug:

6 hours ago, Grapjas said:

I was also busy with it but no one seemed to give a shite.

(apart from Stan giving technical help)

I mean, it's one of the last major quality of life issues with the game. I definitely give a shite if you'd like to pick it back up.

EDIT: Hmm, I looked at the patch and it's not exactly what we need for walls, I think. What walls need is for wall segments to be able to be snapped to with new walls, not just wall towers. Currently you can only replace wall segments by snapping the new wall to a wall tower and stretch it to the next available tower. You cannot currently snap the new wall to the end of a segment to make a new tower and stretch from there. This is what we need.

Building spawning new foundations when destroyed is an interesting feature to potentially explore, but for walls I think we need what I've described above, which is something different.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

24 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Currently you can only replace wall segments by snapping the new wall to a wall tower and stretch it to the next available tower. You cannot currently snap the new wall to the end of a segment to make a new tower and stretch from there.

Even building from towers doesn't always work: I've immediately noticed that the walls were tower-centric, and have thus tried deleting a orphaned wall segment so I could try rebuilding from the next tower. Doesn't always work, as I said previously, especially in difficult terrain.

You could, no you can't. Somehow the destroyed wall part seems to leave the terrain unfit for wall construction. You can build other buildings there though, that's why I said further up that the Wall Building Authority is extremely finicky. You should be able to build walls in places you can't build houses, not the other way round.  :down:

12 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

Even building from towers doesn't always work: I've immediately noticed that the walls were tower-centric, and have thus tried deleting a orphaned wall segment so I could try rebuilding from the next tower. Doesn't always work, as I said previously, especially in difficult terrain.

You could, no you can't. Somehow the destroyed wall part seems to leave the terrain unfit for wall construction. You can build other buildings there though, that's why I said further up that the Wall Building Authority is extremely finicky. You should be able to build walls in places you can't build houses, not the other way round.  :down:

Officially the feature is currently only-snap to wall towers. If it doesn't work then it's a one-off bug or, and this can be fixed too, the adjacent wall on the other side of the tower sticks to far into the tower and it's the overlapping obstructions which prevent you from setting a new wall. 

37 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

the adjacent wall on the other side of the tower sticks to far into the tower and it's the overlapping obstructions which prevent you from setting a new wall.

:blink:  Well, why does the wall building feature do such a bad job?... We're talking about a wall entirely built in-game, not about something created in the editor. Also, why doesn't this issue prevent the initial building of the wall, but only prevents the repair?

That been said I don't think this is the problem, because it usually does accept to start a new wall from that tower, but that new wall can't be laid where the old wall had been (shows red). You can lay it in another direction if you like.
It's like the destroyed wall segment had left something behind preventing a wall to be rebuilt at that place, unless you also destroy the remaining part and rebuild from scratch. It sounds like it is tripping over the terrain conditions for building the wall, often giving me the "can't build over an existing building or resource" message, despite the fact there is neither resource nor building (except the ghost of the old wall), and the fact that if I delete the remaining wall and rebuild the whole thing from scratch, there are suddenly no problems anymore.  :shrug:

--Edited to add:

Which is particularly ridiculous, since it doesn't mind building a new, independent wall all over the old wall! You can have two walls running over the same spot, no problem there, but you can't have a wall segment rebuilt...

Edited by krt0143
precisions + additional informations