Game ignores scenario Start Resources. Why?

krt0143

To test my new units I made a quick & dirty scenario with enough resources to pass immediately to the second age (yes, there are cheats for that but I'm old-fashioned that way). So I set all 4 of the Player 1's starting resources to 1000, started a game and -- My resources were of 300.  :blink:

Actually, whatever I put in there, in the game I get 300... It does not to take into account the "Resources" setting, even if the map specifies otherwise you'll get the default 300. WTF?

I noticed in the game the map settings panel on the right stubbornly says "Starting Resources: Low (300)", but how do you tell it to actually use the map settings? I expected to find some settings option like "Starting Resources: Low/Medium/High/As specified", but didn't find it. The Atlas Manual just say the feature exists, mentions no caveats or addenda. :shrug:

(Note I solved my test problem by placing a bunch of "treasures" in my test map, but I'd still like to know how to tell the game to use the map settings. I mean, if this feature exists, there must be a way to use it, isn't it?)

@krt0143i just tested it and it happens to me aswell, and it shouldn't. There is a ticket for it but it's old and abandoned. As far as that patch goes, i think Wundersam was on the right path, except that the whole point of a scenario is to have fixed settings- that includes pop cap.

Edited by Grapjas
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

and it shouldn't

So it's a bug?

16 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

As far as that patch goes, i think Wundersam was on the right path, except that the whole point of a scenario is to have fixed settings- that includes pop cap.

Fixed settings, yes, but fixed by whom?...

IMHO it's up to the scenario creator to fix them.
Never mind the pop cap, since this is more or less a limitation of the game engine, but resources should be freely settable. Imagine a "Nomad" type map where you don't have the resources to build your initial Civil Center!  :blink:

Yeah i just retested this, seems like before i loaded the wrong map. It works as intended and resources will show as 'per player' in the settings window ingame. Though the custom pop cap still doesn't seem to work. @krt0143 are you sure you are saving your map as a scenario and not as a skirmish? You either need to make a scenario map and give players starting resources or make a skirmish/random map and set the resources to high ingame.

6 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

@krt0143 are you sure you are saving your map as a scenario and not as a skirmish?

Aha! So there is an undocumented difference? Yes, that was a skirmish map.  :dontgetit:

Could we have a comprehensive list of differences between "scenarios" and "skirmishes" (which for me are just a type of scenario) in the Atlas Wiki page?

8 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

set the resources to high ingame

Where do you do that? I searched, but didn't find it.

39 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

Could we have a comprehensive list of differences between "scenarios" and "skirmishes" (which for me are just a type of scenario) in the Atlas Wiki page?

I might do it if i find the time and motivation.

31 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

Where do you do that? I searched, but didn't find it.

image.png.96b709139d1cc3aee0d351261e834ce1.png

21 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

I might do it if i find the time and motivation.

It's over there ->

:laugh:  Nah, seriously, thank you.

21 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

[pic]

Uh-oh. Where is that menu you show? Mine is totally different:

matchsetup.jpg.b19823fa30694d3c0d1105327128cfbc.jpg

--Edit to add:

Never mind, found it!

(Well hidden, kudos... :rolleyes:)

Edited by krt0143
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/09/2023 at 11:22 AM, krt0143 said:

Except that I don't know how... :(

I'm not a programmer.

is just string replacing. not programing.

but yeah, you need to know where the string is located.

you can do it by searching the entire folders for the string. I do that on linux using Regexxer.