Grouping mix-up when selecting grouped and ungrouped units.

krt0143

Let's assume I have a group of units called "1" + a bunch of other units.

Now to move all this to some new place, I select them all (draw rectangle), et tell them to move. Then, I want to separate my group "1" and hit the "1" key to select them. Nope. Too late: Somehow, probably due to that nasty automatic movement grouping, now all the other units have been added to group "1"! In other words, auto-formation also affects groups.

It happens consistently, selecting + moving fuses groups. If you select a group 1 + group 2 + some ungrouped units, everybody becomes group 1 and also group 2, even if multi-grouping isn't allowed in the settings.  :(

(0 A.D. 0.0.26 on Win11)

When units are in an formation, you can't select single units, all units in the formation automatically get selected.

So when you press 1 it only selects the units from control group 1. But because these units are in a formation all other units in the same formation get selected as well. So when you remove the formation, the control groups should work as expected again.

Edited by Vantha

15 minutes ago, Vantha said:

you can't select single units, all units in the formation automatically get selected

That's precisely where the problem lies: Groups should trump formations, i.e. if I select a group (by hitting the number key), it should always acts as a group, never mind if it's also part of a formation, ideally even be able to make garrisoned units leave their buildings! Said differently: Group orders should have priority over everything.

You create groups for specific tasks, like, your scouts, or your rapid intervention group, or your cavalry. They should be able to come when called, without you having to do a whole clickfest of selecting, un-formation, re-selecting, moving, re-selecting, re-formation, etc. It defies the very purpose of groups, which is to have a selection of units you can call rapidly and without fuss.