You can edit replays

Did you know that replay files can be edited? You can edit an AI match into a fake multiplayer match, so that mods like localratings take it into account. This allows you to farm localratings easily.

You can also create history by doing so. You can try to change one turn and see what happens next. Say you were trolled by someone doing dancing, you can edit the dancing turn such that your units don't chase the dancer, hence saving them. If you keep on running the replay from there, you will be able to see an alternate timeline.

Editing replays have has huge potentials to be discovered. You can easily change names of players involved; you can cut ending parts of the replay off before you send it to a commentary Youtuber. 

But kids, don't go too far with this. Any inconsistency in the edited replay will cause OOS or crash.

One funny thing is, spec some nub's 1v1 from the very beginning, then keep the replay and edit your own name into the victor's slot and put the name of someone you hate into the loser's slot. After that, crop out the last few turns then present it in the Ratings Offence Reportings thread and claim that someone quit without resigning so that user1 will give you some ratings.

Total Troll move, don't do it! xDDD

12 hours ago, Sevda said:

so that mods like localratings take it into account. This allows you to farm localratings easily.

I am trying to make a sense out of this. The whole point of LocalRatings being local is that the mod user is the only one who can see ratings and that ratings are calculated based on the user data. Why would one tweak a rating being the only one seeing it... self-motivation?

PS: the fact that a user can edit a free-and-open-source project and its files (including replays) should not come as a surprise. Welcome to foss!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mentula said:

Why would one tweak a rating being the only one seeing it... self-motivation?

Local ratings only takes account of multiplayer games. For players who enjoy playing with the AI, they can't really tell how they have progressed over time or how strong they are compared to their AI friends. Your mod provides graphs and analysis so they can use that feature to look at their performance over time.

So this is an opportunity to evaluate the human player's performance amongst AIs. 

More shady reasons:

• I was expecting you to make a feature where others can see your local ratings.
  • Also you can distribute the fake replays to other people, then these fake replays will enter their calculation system and change your result. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mentula said:

PS: the fact that a user can edit a free-and-open-source project and its files (including replays) should not come as a surprise.

I was surprised by how many exploits 0ad has, just by simply reading and writing certain files. 

HMS-Surprise !

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the useful suggestions.

I believe that rating is a rather relative concept. After all, the selection criteria can be very different in a certain category of people. For example, it is important for me to receive specialized help thanks to nursing paper reviews. This gives me confidence that I am receiving a fully quality and timely service.

Edited by Kristensen
specification