Should cavalry be allowed to pick berries?

MirceaKitsune

Although the way units are presently balanced makes sense and feels well sorted, there's one little thing that never felt right to me. I never understood why cavalry can't also pick berries from bushes: Wanted to at least ask if anyone else thinks there would be sense in making riders able to harvest berries as well. I believe I tried to mod this as an experiment but there's no animation for berry harvesting so it looked broken, this might require model changes unless the existing hunt animation also works.

From a logical perspective, it doesn't quite make sense why an unit that can hunt wildlife and gather meat can't gather berries in a basket. Since cavalry can already gather food by hunting, why would berries be an exception? It feels that if one is possible the other should be too. Obviously they couldn't farm fields only foot units should do that.

From a gameplay rationale, some maps have many berry bushes scattered in random places: It's difficult and wasteful to make a farmstead near each one to send women to pick them. Cavalry being able to travel more quickly to deeper woods in order to retrieve berries would probably play better and give everyone a small but fair advantage... enemies on their end could be further incentivized to explore nearby neutral territory to drive hunting horsemen away.

by logic alone, a men on horse can do anything a men on foot can do, because a man on horse can dismount whenever he wants. so cavalry should be able to gather any resource infatry gathers.

the choice to limit cavalry to hunting has more sense if you think of them being of higher social status, so they couldn't be bothered farming or gathering berries, but only hunting because that was more common among warriors and aristocracy of all ages.

I think the game is fine now, by this regard.

• Like 2

In theory cavalry can do all the work that infantry can do, as long as the horse is tied aside while working.
But in fact, this has a great impact on the balance. If it is not a nomadic country purely composed of cavalry, it is not suitable for this design.