ERROR: SpiderMonkey build failed [using wsl on windows]

PedroLopes951

Hey everyone, 

I was following along the build instructions for linux, after I executed the shell script :

./update-workspaces.sh -j3 --with-system-nvtt 

all was building correctly but then I got this fatal error while compiling some the C code:

/mnt/c/Users/pedro/0ad/libraries/source/spidermonkey/mozjs-91.13.1/build-debug/dist/system_wrappers/string.h:3:15: fatal error: String.h: No such file or directory
    3 | #include_next <String.h>
      |               ^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

After this error, the compilation still continued for while, compiling some rust files but in the end I got that the error saying that the SpiderMonkey Build failed.

I went to this file and I did found the <String.h> on the dir "C:\Users\pedro\0ad\libraries\source\spidermonkey\mozjs-91.13.1\third_party\rust\cexpr\tests\input\strings.h " 

Any ideas of what I can do to solve this?

@Stan`

I like to use a Linux environment to program but I need to access some apps using windows for my job, so I decided to use wsl. 

But if there is little information on building with wsl, I can use the MSVC on Windows and start the process over again. 

Regarding the case insensitive, from what I know when working with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows, the file system is case-insensitive by default.

1 minute ago, PedroLopes951 said:

But if there is little information on building with wsl, I can use the MSVC on Windows and start the process over again. 

There is none currently but you can still try. Maybe using podman and an actual docker image would work. We have some to build on the CI.

2 minutes ago, PedroLopes951 said:

Regarding the case insensitive, from what I know when working with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows, the file system is case-insensitive by default.

Yeah and that's the issue. String.h and string.h are two different files, but your OS think it's the same :)