Tired of being an American Overseas?

First reaction : If they need to disguise themselves, what a pain. But, there's something I must verify before any further comment. I know there are laws regarding the Canadian flag, I'll go look about them.

Second reaction :

I knew there were some law about it :

The Trade Marks Act protects the National Flag of Canada against unauthorized use. Requests to use the flag should be addressed to:

State Ceremonial and Canadian Symbols

State Ceremonial and Corporate Events Directorate

Department of Canadian Heritage

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0M5

Tel: (819) 994-1616

Fax: (819) 997-8550

I wonder what will happen. I know that if you claim Canadian citizenship in Japan or Korea, you'll be more welcomed than if you were to claim you're American.

Some of the quotes in the article are a little hard for me, since I don't see Canada so progressive as they think. It may be a matter of culture... And they have so strange set answers to me :saruman: (Hockey, the only sport! Wayne Gretzky? Gneu??? In fact, I hate hockey ;)).

I know how I'll distinguish myself : I'll go with a Quebec flag, everyone will wonder who I am ;)

(:saruman:

I know people are goind to say that I am exaggerating, but in Paris or London, you can tell who is an American and who is not (Canadians look like Europeans actually ...) ... you may think that I am teasing you all, but I promise you it's right ...

especially when they start talking ;)

Apparently, it is nto a good time being an American in Great Britain ... there were bullies and attacks over the last few months ... not from non-European minorities in England, but from young well-educated people (25-35) who physically and morally harrass American people ... that's really stupid!

If I can find the reference on the Internet, I will post it. I read that in the newspaper "The Independent" ...

Is it so easy to distinguish? Well, it's easy to distinguish Quebecers, just hear them speaking :saruman: I wonder if I could distinguish an American from an English-speaking Canadian. I cannot distinguish easily the face of Koreans and Japanese, even though people say it's so easy.

My late grandfather (from Florida, born in Chicago) was always telling me and my brother, and to some degree our mom (his daughter - American born) that we talked different. Mostly it was that we Canucks rolled our C's accordingly to him. Plus I can't explain it, but Americans are easy to tell up here lol ;)

An old joke in Canada: There are no rude Canadians, those are just Americans on vacation ;)

LOL being a dual citizen with large American connections I can get away with saying that :saruman: I can definatley see why you'd want to pretend to be a Canuck abroad though....

I've spent a lot of my life in the most touristic city of Belgium (Bruges), so I've seen tons of tourists from all over the world. You can really distinguish the Americans easily from all the rest, even before you hear them speak. Clothes and size are quite different, also the way they behave. Americans, atleast when they're on holiday here, wear more casual clothes than we do, are usually bigger and heavier (a bit like Germans :saruman:) and are more open.

We like to see them coming, just like about any tourist. The only we don't like are mainly English tourists who mainly come here to get drunk.

So they better make such shirts for the English ;)